Cwmbran sex attacker’s appeal thrown out by judges
A “BARBARIC” sex attacker,who carried out a “vicious act” on a helpless female victim yesterday had his 14-and-a-half-year jail term upheld by top judges.
Andrew Gareth Telfer, 35, and another man, committed the sex attack on a female partygoer on New Year’s Eve 2011, leaving her so traumatised that she was left effectively housebound by her emotional scars.
Telfer, of Greenwood Avenue, West Pontnewydd, Cwmbran, was sentenced at Newport Crown Court on October 19, 2012.
He was given consecutive sentences for two counts of sexual assault after admitting the crimes.
But yesterday he asked Lord Justice Aikens, Mr Justice Cranston and Mr Justice Edwards-Stuart, sitting at London’s Criminal Appeal Court, to cut his term, claiming he had been treated too harshly.
The court heard both men attacked the victim, who had been drinking: slapping and biting her while “laughing” and “taunting her.”
Telfer then sexually assaulted her.
She eventually managed to escape, half-dressed, and contacted the police.
Mr Justice Edwards-Stuart described Telfer as “an aggressive man with a dominating and controlling attitude towards women,” adding that he had previous convictions for a sex offence and domestic violence.
Telfer’s solicitors asked for the sentences for the two offences to be made concurrent, arguing the two assaults were part of the same incident.
But Mr Justice Edwards-Stuart described the attack as “barbaric”
and said that argument was flawed, because the excessive violence used in one of the assaults increased the seriousness of the attack.
“He failed to take responsibility for his role in this appalling attack,” said the judge. “This was a severe sentence and intentionally so.
“It was particularly humiliating and vicious, and called for a very severe sentence.”
Cwmbran pair admit sex assault
TWO Cwmbran men were remanded in custody yesterday after pleading guilty to sexual assault.
Andrew Telfer, 34, of Greenwood Avenue, Pontnewydd, and Christopher Wills, 32, of St Woolos Green, appeared at Newport Crown Court charged with kidnap and two counts of sexual assault.
The two men had previously pleaded not guilty to all three counts and were due to stand trial later this month, but were rearraigned yesterday with Telfer pleading guilty to both sexual assault charges and Wills to one count of sexual assault.
Prosecutor Tom Crowther said that after discussing the matter with the victim and officers involved in the case the Crown Prosecution Service would accept the pleas and not seek a trial on the kidnap charge or the second sexual assault charge against Wills.
Judge Stephen Hopkins ordered pre-sentence reports on both defendants and remanded them in custody until sentencing on May 28.