Sex attacker jailed after years on run
A SEX attacker who was on the run for six years after being arrested for abusing a vulnerable woman has been jailed for seven years.
While Nathan Thomas John Jordan of Leicester, was at large in Ireland and the UK, a second woman came forward and claimed she too had been violently sexually assaulted by the defendant.
Eventually, police officers arrested the 34-year-old after he boarded a flight at Stansted Airport in February last year.
The Royal Court’s Superior Number, which convenes only for the most serious offences, heard that hi-tech-crime detectives had also found four indecent images of children on his laptop – pictures that showed infants aged between three and eight being sexually abused and raped by adult men.
But due to highly technical encryption software on the computer, which was protected by a pass code not disclosed to the police by Jordan, only partial analysis of the device was able to be carried out.
Crown Advocate Emma Hollywood, prosecuting, said it was the Crown’s case that the images were ‘highly likely to be a snapshot of a large quantity of material hidden behind encrypted areas’.
Internet searches for images showing the ‘sexual abuse, torture and humiliation’ of children were also found. Police also discovered TOR – a portal used to access the so-called dark web, a hidden part of the internet full of ‘terrorist related content, illegal activities and indecent images,’ the court heard.
Jordan, who is married, admitted one count of making indecent images of children, two counts of indecent assault and one of perverting the course of justice. As well as being jailed he has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register for ten years.
Jordan was described by a psychologist as a ‘complex man’ who would currently pose a ‘high risk in the community’.
During yesterday’s hearing, the court was told how Jordan, who describes himself as a journalist, forced two women to perform sex acts on him on two separate occasions. In one incident he threatened he would hurt the victim if she did not comply.
Victim impact statements, which were read in court, said both women were suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and have flashbacks and nightmares.
Acting Inspector Cathy Davison, head of the States police Public Protection Unit, described Jordan as ‘controlling and coercive’.
‘This has been a long and complex investigation, with officers bringing Jordan back from the UK to face charges. We hope this sentence today will help the two victims recognise that justice has been given and assist them in moving on with their lives,’ said the detective.
Outlining the case, Advocate Hollywood said the defendant was arrested in August 2012 in connection with the attack on one victim. His laptop was then seized and analysed. He was interviewed again on 29 August but four days later fled to Cork, in Ireland, after ‘immediately resigning from his job’ and telling his boss he was leaving ‘for my own safety and safety of my loved ones’.
In 2015, the second victim came forward and reported the crime against her.
A wanted marker was placed against Jordan and he was eventually arrested on 15 February 2018.
Sex offender reoffends with over 45,000 indecent images of children
A man who was put on the sex offenders’ register by the Royal Court in 2012 has admitted breaching his restrictions by making 45,787 indecent images of children.
42-year-old Jeremy Thomas Bourke appeared in the Royal Court on Friday, accused of four counts of making the images of children under the age of 16 between July 2011 and September 2017.
The images – which include 103 at the most serious level – were kept on a number of storage devices including a PlayStation 4 game console.
Defending, Advocate Adam Clarke, put forward guilty pleas for all four counts, as well as two counts of breaching the sex offender restraining orders that was imposed by the Royal Court on 9 November 2012, as Bourke was in possession of software which conceals the user’s internet activity, and for not handing over a device that contained 42,231 of the indecent images of children to Police Officers on 20 September 2017.
Bourke has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced by the Royal Court on 23 July 2018.
The Bailiff, Sir William Bailhache, who was presiding over the Royal Court also heard a separate case involving making indecent images of children.
33-year-old Nathan Thomas John Jordan, from Leicester, pleaded guilty to possessing four indecent images of children, two at level three and two at level four – the second most serious level – on a Dell laptop between 16 December 2011 and 29 August 2012.
Jordan has been remanded in custody as the Solicitor General, Mark Temple, explained there was a risk he would leave the island as he does not live in Jersey.
Defence Advocate Christine Hall did not dispute this, but requested the time Jordan has served in custody will be acknowledged by the Royal Court when he is sentenced on 22 June 2018.