February 2019

Menace banned from Liverpool for punching pregnant woman blows latest chance at freedom

A menace banned from Liverpool city centre who threatened to have a Salvation Army worker killed has blown his latest chance at freedom.

Tony Ormesher, 53, of St Andrew Road, Anfield was handed a 10-year ban for a crazed rampage that saw him punch a pregnant woman and spit at tour bus staff in 2016.

The convicted sex offender has a long record including indecent exposure, arson, assaults, thefts, threatening behaviour and criminal damage.

Staggeringly, however, he once worked as a porter at Eaton Road Police Station in West Derby and did not commit a single crime until he turned 45.   

Ormesher breached his criminal behaviour order when he became aggressive with staff at the One Stop Shop in St John’s Market on December 27 last year.

Security arrived and he agreed to leave, but Liverpool Crown Court heard he erupted again at the Salvation Army centre in Prescot Road, Old Swan on January 5.

Ormesher, of no fixed address, argued with another resident, yelling at him to “go and get a bath”, then when asked to be quiet, became “extremely angry”.

He was described as being in an “uncontrollable rage” when he punched the glass window of a booth to try and reach a frightened female receptionist.

Simon Duncan, prosecuting, said: “He then used a fire extinguisher, spraying foam onto the wall, floor, computer and a pool table.”

Ormesher tried to smash the window with the extinguisher and threatened to “get his street mates” to kill the petrified worker, before he was ejected.

As a result of being barred from the Salvation Army he needed a new home, but failed to notify police of a change of address, which he is required to do.

Julian Linskill, defending Ormesher when he admitted the breaches and £800 of criminal damage on February 11, said “his temper got the better of him”.

Judge Brian Cummings, QC, adjourned sentencing on that date for a pre-sentence report and remanded Ormesher in custody.

He appeared in the dock again on Monday, when a probation worker explained The Whitechapel Centre in Islington was willing to assist him.  

It was agreed he could be housed at the Labre House shelter in Camden Street for two nights, with a view to finding permanent accommodation.

Judge Cummings said “I’ve never seen anything like it” when referring to Ormesher’s extensive criminal record, which only began in August 2010.

He said at that point “some kind of dam bursts” and the lout had racked up a staggering rap sheet, but he was “loathe to write anyone off.”

The judge said: “I’m certainly loathe to write Mr Ormesher off. It’s in everyone’s interests that he get back to where he was 10 years ago.”

He said he could jail Ormesher for a short time, delaying the problem, but couldn’t impose a non-custodial sentence without an address for him.

Judge Cummings again adjourned sentencing, granting him conditional bail, so he could visit the centre to speak with staff about his options.

However, Ormesher was today dragged back before the judge, after blowing the opportunity and getting himself arrested yet again.

Mr Duncan said Ormesher went to the Langdale Street centre on Monday and was told he would be put on a waiting list for a hostel.

But on Tuesday morning he came to the city centre and when approached by a police community support officer, became abusive.

Ormesher admitted breaching his order, before Judge Cummings said there was nothing else he could do and jailed him for three months.