Rapist Brian Davey placed under death threat by Loyalist paramilitaries
A convicted rapist is under death threat from loyalist paramilitaries, Belfast Live has been told.
Brian Davey, 27, originally from Bangor, Co Down, had claimed the double rape he was convicted of in 2013 had been consensual sex.
He was jailed for six years and released in 2016 but was returned to jail in 2017 after the sexual assault of a teenager, and was released from jail for a second time five weeks ago.
Now loyalist paramilitaries have confirmed they want him dead and have ‘permitted community-wide action’ against him.
Before Davey went to prison in 2013, paramilitaries in Co Down had plotted to execute him at the Bangor off-licence where he had been working.
A source said: “They were persuaded not to kill him but he remained under threat and police from Newtownards delivered a letter to him informing him that he was under death threat. Loyalist paramilitary organisations believed he was a rapist and a danger to women.”
Since then Davey has been convicted of the double rape of one woman and sexual assault of a teenager, and has served a prison sentence at Maghaberry Prison in Co Antrim.
The source added: “He wasn’t popular inside Maghaberry jail and within the hierarchy of convicts, he’s considered one of the lowest of the low. Now that he’s out he remains unpopular on the outside and is considered by the paramilitary organisations as an ongoing danger to women in Northern Ireland because of his history.
“Today it has been confirmed that the death threat from the loyalist paramilitary organisations remains in place and is active.
“But unlike previously where Davey was the subject of attention only in Co Down, the threat has now been escalated and is community-wide so no matter where he goes there’s a network on the look-out for him and they’ve been given permission to act when and where the opportunity arises.
“The organisations want him out of Northern Ireland where he can become someone else’s problem.
“They just do not trust him to behave himself, to conduct himself properly with young girls and woman. They’ve said he’s welcome to leave and if he doesn’t leave, he risks being shot dead or dealt with in some other manner.”
Since Davey’s release from Maghaberry on October 5 this year, his personal profile has appeared on a number of dating sites.
In them he is described as “an easy going guy who loves meeting new people”, with interests that include “Gone In 60 Seconds”, “cuddles”, “fitness and health”, “Messi” and “restaurants”. In one profile he says he is “open to having children” and is described as living alone.
One source said: “His profile is on Badoo, Tinder, Plenty of Fish and girls have had contact on the dating sites before being added on Snapchat and Whatsapp where their locations can show up.”
Despite being convicted of double rape in 2013 and later convicted of the sexual assault of a young woman while on out of jail on licence, the son of a retired police officer faces no restrictions under Northern Ireland’s public protection arrangements.
The jury at Belfast Crown Court heard that in 2013 he had invited himself to a woman’s home where his advances were rejected. His victim woke with Davey performing a sex act before he pinned her down and raped her twice.