March 2019

‘I don’t want to be targeted by vigilantes…’ 

A pervert who is on the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years breached his court order – by using a false name to create a Facebook account.

Andrew Sidaway created the account – with the profile image of a ‘young female’ – in the name of Barry Jones to try to avoid being ‘targeted by vigilantes’.

But he failed to register that name with police and the offence came to light when he handed his phone to officers.

Now Sidaway has been handed a 12-month community order at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.

The court heard the 52-year-old was handed a suspended prison sentence last November and placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register after admitting three offences of making indecent images of children and one charge of possessing an extreme pornographic image.

The undeclared Facebook account came to light six days later.

Prosecutor Nick Tatlow told the court: “He was asked to attend Longton Police Station to see his offender manager.

He submitted his phone for examination.

The phone contained a link to the Facebook account of Barry Jones.

He said it was his account and he used it to speak to his wife as he did not want to be targeted by vigilantes.

He said he had not realised he had to register that name.

“When the officer looked at the account there was a profile image of a young female. His Facebook history showed contact from other profiles. The defendant said he looked at the profiles following friend requests.

“He said he created the profile in October as he had not wanted to receive any threats. He accepted he had made a mistake and said he was sorry.”

Sidaway, of Ilford Side, Blurton, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with the notification requirements of the Sex Offenders’ Register and breaching his suspended sentence order.

Jason Holt, mitigating, said the defendant has been attending all his appointments with the probation service.

He said: “It would not appear to be something he has tried to hide because he brought his phone to the attention of the police. He has been the subject of repercussions and has had to change address on numerous occasions.”

As part of the community order, Sidaway must complete a 20-day rehabilitation activity requirement. He was also fined £150 and ordered to pay £200 costs.

Judge David Fletcher told Sidaway: “If you do not comply going forward, then with this background, there is almost an inevitability of an immediate custodial sentence.”

November 2018

Pervert dad-of-seven searched for ‘pre teen hardcore’ and ‘paedo’ to download thousands of child abuse images over SEVEN years

Pervert Andrew Sidaway downloaded thousands of sickening child abuse images over seven years.

The 53-year-old dad-of-seven searched shocking terms such as ‘pre teen hardcore’ and ‘paedo’.

Among the pictures he accessed included toddlers as young as two or three being raped.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard Sidaway was arrested after police executed a warrant at his Blurton home and seized a computer tower, a USB digital storage device, an iPhone and an iPad.

The equipment was analysed and contained a total of 1,629 indecent images at category A – the most serious –; 619 category B images; 1,379 category C images and 23 extreme pornographic images.

Now Sidaway has been sentenced to 15 months in prison, suspended for two years, with a rehabilitation activity requirement for 40 days.

Prosecutor David Bennett said police attended the defendant’s home in Ilford Side, Blurton, at 1.10pm on March 23.

Mr Bennett said: “The defendant was arrested and a search was carried out at the address. Police recovered a computer tower, a USB digital storage device, an iPhone and an iPad, which were examined.”

Images were found on all four devices.

Mr Bennett added: “Some of the images involved very young children, aged two to three, being raped. Some images involved babies as young as 12 months old.

“There was evidence the defendant had been seeking indecent images of children on the internet. He used search terms such as ‘pre teen hard core’ and ‘paedo’.”

Sidaway, of Ilford Side, Blurton, pleaded guilty to three charges of making indecent images of children between October 1, 2010 and March 23, 2018 and possession of extreme pornographic images.

Recorder Baz Bhatia made Sidaway the subject of a five-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) and placed him on the sex offenders’ register for 10 years.

The judge told Sidaway: “The courts take a very serious view of these offences. You were adding to the industry which exploits very vulnerable and young children in the worst possible way.”