September 2018

Rapist who threatened to murder his girlfriend and treated her ‘like rag doll’ during sex is back on the streets – and living just miles from ex

A THUG who treated his partner like a “rag doll” during sex has been freed after he was locked up indefinitely – and lives just 20 miles from his traumatised ex.

Simon Tibble, 37, subjected Sophie Crockett, 24, to two years of abuse and she claims he tried to force feed her like a baby.

The violence was so extreme that police warned Sophie her life was in danger and sent uniformed officers to patrol her street near Aberdare, South Wales.

Tibble was eventually brought to justice after locking Sophie in the house for three days, and was charged with false imprisonment.

He pleaded guilty and no evidence was offered on ten counts of rape.

Tibble was described as being a “danger to all women” and was locked up indefinitely under a Section 37/41 order.

It is typically used when a criminal who needs psychiatric treatment is deemed to be a risk to public safety.

Sentencing him at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, South Wales, in 2013, Judge Richard Twomlow told him: “You are a danger to all women”.

But less than four years later Tibble applied for a medical tribunal to challenge his imprisonment and letters to Sophie from the probation service suggest he has been back on the streets since July 2017.

Distraught Sophie, who waived her right to anonymity, said: “Finding out was the biggest shock I have ever had in my life.

“It was like time stood still. I was beyond crying. It felt like an out-of-body experience.

“I’m not just having nightmares but hallucinations – it is like being back there again.”

Sophie’s ordeal began aged 17, when she met Tibble, who was 30.

She struggled with social situations due to her Asperger’s Syndrome and had never had a boyfriend before.

Sophie added: “The first time we had sex I felt like I was being torn apart.

“He was so violent during sex I thought my neck and back would break. I felt like I was being used like a rag-doll.”

She added: “I did try to leave him once and he threatened to kill me, and my father, and my dog. I had to go back.

“I couldn’t even go to the toilet without him. He even washed my hair – if I told him to back off, he got violent.”

Tibble held Sophie captive, waving a hunting knife in her face and telling her: “We will both die today.”

The following morning he told her: “I could break your neck now and no-one would know.”

She has since been informed that Tibble has been moved to a half-way house in Bridgend.