October 2018

Young girl feared Worcester pensioner Denis Jones would rape her

A young girl feared she would be raped as she was sexually assaulted by a pensioner.

The victim, who was just 12 at the time of the assaults, watched Denis Jones sentenced from the public gallery of Worcester Crown Court on Thursday.

The 69-year-old of Bowness Close, Worcester, had previously admitted two counts of sexual activity with a child and a further count will be allowed to lie on file.

The offences happened on November 21 last year.

Gareth Walters, prosecuting, described how Jones stood between the girl’s legs, sexually assaulted her for five minutes while he talked to her though the girl said she could not remember what he was saying.

Jones made inappropriate comments, including complimenting her on her breasts. At one stage the girl texted her mum, asking for help. One message to a friend said: “I’m scared.”

The girl said in a statement: “I thought he was going to rape me. He did not let me go. He kept saying ‘yes’ and I kept saying ‘no’.”

When confronted about what he had done Jones denied it. He was arrested the next day.

The girl said in a victim personal statement: “Since this happened I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. This would involve me feeling really negative towards people.

“I kept thinking ‘why me? What did I do to deserve this? Why did he pick me to do this?’

Jones had no relevant previous convictions. Mr Walters said Jones had displayed grooming behaviour and there was a significant disparity in age. He said it was aggravating feature that there was more than one offence and that there was ‘a genuine fear of rape’.

Judge Nicholas Cole, who praised the girl for her bravery, said to Jones: “To your credit you ultimately pleaded guilty. You did so through your solicitor before the trial therefore saving the victim from the ordeal of having to give evidence at the trial.

“Nonetheless, you have taken from her the sort of innocence a child of this age has a right to expect.”

The judge sentenced him to 12 months in prison suspended for two years. Jones must also complete 50 rehabilitation activity days. A sexual harm prevention order was made and he was warned that if he breached it he could be jailed for up to five years.

Jones will also be subject to notification requirements which means he must inform police of any change of name, address or any other particular for 10 years. He will be barred from working with any child or other vulnerable person.

Jones must pay £1,000 costs.