Teen sex attackers jailed
TWO 15-year-old boys were put behind bars last week for a total of seven years and three months for the sexual assault and rape of a 14-year-old girl.
The court was told Aaron Smith and Martin Harvey, who were 14 at the time took the 13-year-old girl to a derelict building near Spurs football ground where they assaulted her while a group of boys looked on.
The boys ran off when they heard police sirens but Harvey had left a DNA sample behind when the incident happened on May 18 last year.
The court heard that when the girl went to the police after the rape, one of the boys who she knew from school, warned her not to give evidence against him.
Smith, of Elizabeth Blackwell House, Progress Way, Wood Green, admitted the charges of attempted rape, indecent assault and committing acts intended to pervert the course of justice. He was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in a Young Offenders’ Institute.
Harvey, of Truro Road, Wood Green, denied rape and indecent assault saying that the girl had consented. He was found guilty and was sentenced to three years and nine months.
The names of the two boys which would not normally be made public were released to the press as the judge, Timothy Pontius, thought it was in the public interest. They will be on the sex offenders’ register for life.
James O’Mahoney, prosecuting, said relations between Smith and the victim had deteriorated after an incident concerning a bike.
The court heard Smith had got the idea the complainant had told police he had stolen someone’s bike and she needed to be taught a lesson.