July 2018: Now living in Wythenshawe, Manchester

March 2005

Rapist jailed for double attack

A double rapist who struck twice in about twenty minutes has been jailed for eight years. 

Ashley Bell, of Forth Avenue, Clayton, Manchester, was also put on the sex offenders register indefinitely.

Bell attacked his first victim, a 26-year-old woman, at her home in Openshaw on 9 July last year, Manchester Crown Court heard.

About 20 minutes later he raped a 13-year-old girl after approaching her on Louisa Street in Openshaw.

She was walking with a friend when he befriended them, before leading the child off to a nearby path and raping her.

Bell will be on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely and will be subject to an extended supervision order for the next two years.

Ashley Bell first struck when he attacked a young mum in her home as her four year old son slept upstairs. 

Minutes later he forced a 13-year-old girl onto wasteland known as ” The Yellow Brick Road” and raped her as she begged him to stop. 

“No-one listening to the evidence and the facts of these two rapes could help but be appalled by the degree of violence used and the circumstances in which they were carried out”, Bell was told by Judge Anthony Ensor at Manchester Crown Court. 

“The first victim was raped in her own home while her son was at the house and it was a very bad case of violent rape”, added the Judge. 

“Not content with that you then found the young girl of thirteen and attacked and raped her forcibly. 

“It was an appalling act in a public area and it will have blighted her life.” 

Prosecutor Richard Vardon said Bell, of Fourth Avenue, Clayton, knew the first victim. 

On the night of the rape he rang her at home but although she did not want to see him because she was in a relationship with another man she agreed he could call at the house. 

But when he arrived he made a number of remarks about her boyfriend and tried to put his arm around her.

She told him to stop and asked him to leave.