July 2018

Paedophile sentenced to 21 years

Neyland paedophile John Smith has today received a 28 year extended sentence for a string of child sex offences.

Smith – once known as Mathew Griffiths – had been found guilty of all the 28 child sex offences against him.

Smith, aged 47, of High Street, was told the sentence would be made up of a 21 year custodial element, of which he must serve 14 years before being allowed to even apply for parole.

Judge Paul Thomas, sitting at Swansea crown court, said Smith would be under stringent licence conditions until 2046 irrespective of when he is released.

Smith was found guilty of serious sexual offences including indecent assault, indecency with a child, sexual assault and intercourse with a girl aged under 13.

He was also convicted of possessing indecent images of children, making such images, and the possession of extreme pornography depicting women having sex with animals.

The child assault charges involved three girls and a boy, all of whom are now adults.

Smith had denied all the charges but was convicted after a trial at Swansea crown court.

Today (Friday), the court heard victim impact statements from each of his victims in which they told how their lives had been blighted by the sex abuse.

Judge Thomas told Smith he had a sexual appetite for young girls and boys, and thought only of his “wicked, paedophile end.”

Those he had abused, he added, had been devastated but Smith had shown “not a shred of remorse.”

“You called them liars and that contributed to their distress. You tried only to save your own skin,” said the judge.

Judge Thomas said he believed Mathew Griffiths had changed his name to John Smith – “showing a certain lack of imagination” – to try and stop his past catching up with him.

Judge Thomas said he was confident that the steps he had taken would ensure that Smith would never again have access to young children.

After Smith had been led away he praised the victims for their courage in going to the police and the dignity they had displayed during the judicial process.

Dyfed-Powys Police have also praised the victims for their bravery in coming forward.

The investigation began in 2014 when a male victim came forward to report being sexually abused by Smith. The abuse started in 1992 at the age of eight.

In 2015 a second victim came forward reporting sexual abuse when she was aged 11.

Smith was then charged with 17 offences and appeared at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Courts.

After seeing his name and the nature of the offences in the Western Telegraph, a further two female victims came forward to report sexual abuse.

One victim was abused between the ages of 11 to 13. The other victim reported a  sexual assault in 2005 when she was 11-years-old.

There was no connection between the first two victims and the second two victims.

In November 2017 a charging decision was made and he appeared in Swansea Crown Court charged with a further 11 offences. The case was brought to trial on May 29, 2018.

June 2018

Neyland man found guilty of 28 sex charges

Neyland paedophile John Smith – once known as Mathew Griffiths – has been found guilty of all the 28 child sex offences against him.

Smith, aged 47, of High Street, was immediately remanded into custody and will be sentenced to a term in prison on June 29.

Smith was found guilty of charges including indecent assault, indecency with a child, sexual assault and intercourse with a girl aged under 13

Smith was also convicted of possessing indecent images of children, making such images, and the possession of extreme pornography depicting women having sex with animals.

The child assault charges involved three girls and a boy, all of whom are now adults.

Smith had denied all the charges but was convicted after a trial at Swansea crown court.

On June 29 Judge Paul Thomas will decide whether Smith poses a danger to young people and, if so, whether to pass an extended sentence.