Irvine pervert spared jail despite sick haul of 11,000 images
An irvine man who spent nine years collecting more than 11,000 sick images and videos of babies and children being abused has been spared a jail sentence.
Alan Andrew admitted to having thousands of child porn images on his laptop which he had taken, made or allowed to be taken at an address in Castlepark between May 1, 2008 and June 21 last year.
The 53-year-old sat in the dock at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court with his head bowed as his defence solicitor, Roselyn Gallen, told the court his life and the life of his family and 14-year-old son had been destroyed as a result of his sick haul.
Mrs Gallen said: “This is a man who has lost everything. He has lost his family and the respect of everyone that he knows. His 14-year-old son’s life has been a living nightmare as a result of press coverage in local and national news and he will never be able to make that up to him.
“He is very concerned that you will impose a custodial sentence because he has a number of debts. If he was to go to prison the family home would need to be sold.”
Despite the huge number of images – raging in severity from Category A to C – Sheriff Iona MacDonald decided depraved Andrew, of East Broomlands, would not serve any jail time, instead giving him 250 hours of unpaid work and placing him on the Sex Offender’s register for three years.
“The risk assessment indicates that it would be better for the general public that you receive some education by way of a programme requirement.
“In these circumstances I’m persuaded that rather than a custodial sentence it’s better to place you on a community payback order for three years.”
Irvine sex offender awaits sentence over child abuse images charges
A sex offender is awaiting sentence after he admitted making and possessing child sexual abuse images
Alan Andrew, 53, pled guilty to two charges regarding indecent images of children when he appeared before Kilmarnock Sheriff Court last week.
Andrew, of East Broomlands, Irvine admitted to one charge of taking, permitting to be taken, or making indecent images, photographs, or pseudo-photographs of children.
He also admitted to a second charge of having in his possession indecent images, photographs, or pseudo-photographs of children.
Both offences took place over a nine year period between May 1, 2008 and June 21, 2017, both dates inclusive, at another address in Irvine.
Andrew was placed on the Sex Offenders Register for the offences when he appeared before the court on Monday, May 14.
Sentencing was adjourned for criminal justice social work reports.
Andrew will return to the same court later in the year to discover his fate.