Curfew for evicted sex offender
A convicted sex offender who failed to tell the police he had been evicted from his home has been given an eight week overnight curfew by magistrates.
At Carlisle’s Rickergate court, Robert Michael Cook, 44, admitted failing to comply with the rules of the Sex Offenders’ Register, which he was put under after he was convicted of a serious sex offence in January 2014.
“One of the requirements is that he must notify the police of any change of address within three days,” said prosecutor Peter Bardsley. He said a police officer checked at Cook’s home address on April 3.
Steven Marsh, for Cook, now living at John Street, Carlisle, said the defendant was released from jail in November 2013, eventually moving to an address at Stonegarth, Morton.
“As a result of that, he was homeless on the streets.
“He had no address, though he stayed with his cousin for two days. He has now obtained a place at John Street. He has been to the police and told them of that address.”
Magistrates accepted Cook’s offence had been “inadvertent”. But they stressed it was Cook’s responsibility to ensure he complies with the Sex Offenders’ Register. Cook must also pay an £85 victim curfew, and £85 prosecution costs.