May 2018

Man faces jail after paedophile hunters sting at Darent Valley Hospital six years after manslaughter

A pervert who was once convicted of manslaughter is facing jail after he was caught in a sting by an online child protection team

Lee Webster admitted seven offences when he appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on Thursday, despite having no legal representation.

The 31-year-old from Gravesend was arrested outside Darent Valley Hospital on April 2 after he was caught by the online group.

The encounter was streamed live on Facebook.

Appearing by TV link with Elmley Prison, he was urged to obtain legal assistance by Judge Jeremy Carey.

But Webster declined and entered guilty pleas to five offences of attempting to cause a girl to engage in sexual activity and two of attempting to cause a girl to watch a sexual act between January 14 and April 3.

Four girls’ names were given in the charges.

Prosecutor Tony Prosser said when interviewed by police, Webster said: “I know I did what you say and I am really sorry. I feel I need help with my mental health.”

Adjourning sentence until after June 11 for reports, Judge Carey again urged Webster to be legally represented.

“You have pleaded guilty to very serious criminal offences,” he said.

“This is not intended to intimidate you to bring home to you just how serious the matter is, but for one offence of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity the sentence will be measured in a number of years imprisonment.

“There are numerous offences to which you have pleaded guilty.

“You have chosen not to have a lawyer today but as a matter of good sense and necessity you should have an advocate to represent you at the hearing for a number of reasons.

“These are very serious matters and you are in a very serious position. It is, bluntly, perverse not to have a lawyer to represent you.”

Webster was jailed for five years in June 2013 for manslaughter and perverting the course of justice after he slipped 26 anti-depressant tablets into a friend’s beer “for a joke”.

Webster was sentenced to four-and-a-half years for killing Jason Wood and six months consecutive for perverting the course of justice by getting rid of the pill bottle which had contained Mirtazapine.

Mr Wood, 30, died in October 2012 within about three hours of swallowing the pills put into his beer can during a heavy drinking session at his flat in Camden Square in Ramsgate.

Maidstone Crown Court heard the combination of the pills, alcohol and sleep apnoea – which could cause Mr Wood to stop breathing – probably led to his death.