Nairn teenage sex offender sent to young offender’s institution
A teenage sex offender who preyed on under age girls was sent to a young offender’s institution for 27 months yesterday after he was assessed as at maximum risk of re-offending.
In an effort to protect other possible victims, Sheriff Gordon Fleetwood ensured that Jason Davidson, 19, would be supervised by social workers on his release.
It is expected he will be freed in nine months after the sentence was backdated to October 3 – the date when he was taken into custody.
The supervision was in the form of a community payback order for three years with the Sheriff also imposing a Sexual Offences Protection Order.
This restricts Davidson’s access to young girls and the internet for five years.
In addition, he was placed on the Sex Offender’s Register for 10 years.
The Sheriff warned Davidson that if he breached any of the court orders, “it will inevitably result in you being returned to the Young Offender’s Institution for a significant period indeed”.
Davidson’s lawyer Neil Wilson told the court; “I wouldn’t want him to walk out the gates of the YOI with no support.
“Social workers are at a loss for what to do with him. He is assessed as being at maximum risk of re-offending.
“He frequently acts on impulse without giving it much thought. There is a pattern to his course of conduct. He is an immature young man and in mixing with 14-year-olds he is mixing with his intellectual equals. He is going to have to stop.”
Davidson, who is from Nairn, had earlier admitted at Inverness Sheriff Court defying an earlier court order banning him from contacting under-age girls.
Police successfully applied for a prohibition order on Davidson in February, 2016, because there was a risk that he would inflict sexual harm.
The court was told that Davidson had social media interaction and personally visited four different girls, aged between 12 and 15, both before and after the ban was imposed.
He pleaded guilty to sending sexual messages to the girls and visiting two of them between September 17, 2015 and May 1, 2016.
Fiscal depute Roderick Urquhart said Davidson had invited two of the girls to perform sex acts on him, and offered to send indecent images of himself.
Both of them refused his advances, Mr Urquhart said.
These offences took place on various occasions between August, 2015 and December, 2015.