May 2018

Convicted paedo sentenced for downloading 1,850 child images

A convicted paedophile who admitted downloading indecent images of children for the second time in 12 years has been jailed.

Paul Ogilvie, 52, of Strathmore Avenue, was found with a total of 1,850 indecent still images and 145 indecent videos of children ranging in ages from six to 16.

He admitted that between April 17 and May 29 last year, at a house in Strathmartine Road, he took or permitted the taking of, or made, indecent photographs or pseudo photographs of children.

Fiscal depute Nicola Gillespie told Dundee Sheriff Court the address was Ogilvie’s former home he shared with his then partner.

Among the images recovered were 540 still images in category A – the most explicit – plus 179 in category B and 1,131 in category C.

In addition there were 85 category A, 22 category B and 38 category C videos.

The age range of the children in the images was nine to 14.

Ms Gillespie added that Ogilvie’s partner told police it was his own personal laptop.

Examination of his computer also showed that Ogilvie had searched for and visited a website which showed 220 images of young boys aged six to 16.

Mrs Gillespie told the court it was the second occasion Ogilvie had been convicted of a child sexual abuse images offence, the previous time being in 2006.

Ogilvie had been sentenced to a period of probation at the time and placed on the sex offenders register.

Sheriff Alastair Carmichael said the nature of the offence and the fact Ogilvie had committed a similar offence previously meant there was no alternative to custody.

Ogilvie was jailed for 12 months and placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years.

April 2018

Dundee pervert with 1,850 indecent images gets second conviction in 12 years

A convicted paedophile has admitted downloading indecent images of children for the second time in 12 years.

Paul Ogilvie, 52, of Strathmore Avenue, was found with a total of 1,850 indecent still images and 145 indecent videos of children ranging in ages from six to 16.

He admitted that between April 17 and May 29 last year, at a house in Strathmore Avenue, he took or permitted to be taken or made indecent photographs or pseudo photographs of children.

Fiscal depute Nicola Gillespie told the court the address was the former home he shared with his partner.

She said among the images recovered were 540 in category A — the most explicit — still images, 179 category B and 1,131 category C.

In addition there were 85 category A videos, 22 category B and 38 category C.

The age range of the females involved in the images was between 9-14, while a boy of between 9-10 years of age was also involved.

In the videos, indecent images of young children aged between eight to 13 years were recovered from his laptop and other equipment by police.

She added that his partner told police it was his own personal laptop.

Ms Gillespie said Ogilvie had downloaded files showing young females involved in explicit activities.

She said examination of his computer also showed that during that period he had searched for and visited a Russian photography website which showed 220 images of young boys aged 6-16 as a result of him searching for boys on the website.

It is the second occasion Ogilvie has been convicted of such an offence.

Ogilvie was ordered to complete a sex offenders rehabilitation programme in 2006 after being convicted of possessing indecent images of children.

But last year police were tipped off that that course had failed and that Ogilvie had again been accessing child abuse images.

Solicitor David Sinclair told the court: “This isn’t the first time he has done this and he has now taken steps to address his behaviour,” adding he had enrolled in the Stop It Now programme.

Sheriff Alastair Carmichael deferred sentence for reports and a restriction of liberty order assessment until May 15 and placed him on the sex offenders register in the meantime.

Advertisements