March 2018

Ex-lorry driver jailed after sexually assaulting 12-year-old Hull girl

A ex-lorry driver sexually assaulted a Hull girl when she was just 12 years old and coerced her into keeping it a secret for years.

During a “nasty episode”, Robert Hinton, 37, tickled her back over her clothing before sexually assaulting her.

Michele Stuart-Lofthouse, prosecuting, said: “His hand went between her legs.”

The encounter left the young girl “distinctively uncomfortable” and psychologically traumatised.

However, Hinton pressured his victim into keeping his crimes a secret.

For years, she told no one until she revealed all to a friend at college before eventually telling her parents.

Hinton was arrested and denied one count of sexual assault of a child under the age of 13 between 2007 and 2010.

However, the sales manager, was found guilty following a trial at Hull Crown Court last week.

While on bail for the sexual assault charge in November 2016, Hinton, who was living in Preston, assaulted an girl by trapping her arm in a door during an argument.

He then fled the scene and led police on a high speed pursuit during which he reached speeds of up to 90mph.

The chase only came to an end when officers used a stinger to deflate the defendant’s tyres.

He admitted common assault, criminal damage and dangerous driving.

Judge Jeremy Richardson QC said: “You overtook vehicles several times in dangerous circumstances.

“Eventually you reached the town of Poulton. You were plainly driving very fast through a built up town centre.

“It was self-evident that public houses had members of the public turning out on the pavement and eventually the police lost you in that town.

“A short while later, the police caught up with you on the M55. You did not stop and eventually the police used a device to force you to stop.

“This was a prolonged period of dangerous driving. You were driving way in excess of the speed limit causing danger to a number of individuals.

“You knew full well the police wanted you to stop. You behaved disgracefully.”

Hinton, most recently of Ashton-on-Ribble, was jailed for three years – two years for the sexual assault and one year for dangerous driving.

He has been disqualified from driving for two and a half years and must sit an extended test once that period lapses.

Hinton was also made subject to a sexual harm prevention order (SHPO) which will last for 10 years.