Pervert found victims on the Kik Messenger app
A sexual predator abused children targeted through a free instant messaging app in order to satisfy his “perverse desires”.
Lewis Casey, 21, is already serving a four-year prison sentence at HMP Ashfield in Pucklechurch, Bristol after he was convicted of a string of offences including sexual assault, inciting a male under 16 to engage in sexual activity, exposure and making indecent images of children in 2016.
Around 60,000 indecent images of children were found by police on his computers and phone.
However, earlier this year he was brought back before the courts charged with 18 further offences, which he admitted.
The offences include sexual assault by penetration of a child under 13, three counts of sexual assault involving children, sexual activity in the presence of a child, causing or inciting children to engage in sexual activity and engaging in sexual activity in the presence of children.
Casey, who is from Bournemouth, has now been jailed for a further five years and 10 months.
He must also serve an extended licence period of eight years when released on parole.
Police in Dorset launched a second investigation after the 2016 sentencing. Officers looked into the defendant’s internet use, as well as his use of the online Kik Messenger chatroom.
They discovered Casey used the forum to communicate with a number of people. He shared and received images and videos showing the sexual abuse of children and babies.
Kik preserves users’ anonymity.
However, detectives recovered 25,761 rows of Kik data from Casey’s devices. The data related to 1,280 different message partners and usernames between January 1 2014 and April 1 2015.
Evidence linking him to a number of children he had sexually abused was found. Officers also found other victims he had met via Kik.
Lewis Casey, 21, will be sentenced at Bournemouth Crown Court in April
THE sentence of a convicted sex offender who ‘boasted’ about committing further acts of abuse online was adjourned because a full day is needed for the hearing, prosecutors say.
Judge Jonathan Fuller QC raised concerns about the work of CPS Wessex after a hearing for 21-year-old Lewis Casey was pushed back.
Casey, currently an inmate of HMP Ashfield in Pucklechurch, Bristol, has admitted 18 offences, and appeared at Bournemouth Crown Court on Friday afternoon for sentence.
However, the case was unable to go ahead due to problems with the service of papers.
Judge Fuller also highlighted issued with a “piecemeal” indictment and said information pertinent to the sentencing had not been disclosed to the court.
Victims’ families had attended the court for the hearing. It was heard that families had “expressed frustration”.
The sentence was adjourned until April so more time can be given for the hearing.
“This case involves very serious allegations of sexual abuse against young children by a registered sex offender who at the time of the investigation was serving a custodial sentence,” a spokesperson for the CPS said.
“In 2016, this defendant was convicted of similar offences of a sexual nature against other children and for offences of making and possessing indecent images of children. There were in the region of 60,000 images found on his devices.
“Following his conviction and sentence further work was undertaken in relation to the defendant’s use of the internet and online chat rooms.
“This work revealed conversations the defendant had with unknown persons boasting about other abuse he had committed on more children together with further indecent images and sexual conversations with other people he clearly believed to be children.
“Some of the children he abused were identified and spoken to.
“As a consequence of this further investigation the defendant was charged with additional offences.”
Two hours were initially set aside on March 23 for the sentencing hearing.
“The judge sought additional time to consider the case and has set the matter down for a full day in which to consider the sentence,” the CPS spokesperson said.