March 2018

Epsom man who groomed teenagers online jailed for eight years

An Epsom man has been jailed after pleading guilty to sexual activity with a child and online offences against children.

Ian Jakings, 28, met children aged between 12 and 15 in online teenage chatrooms and groomed them, trying to convince them to perform sex acts for him on camera.

Police found evidence that he had been engaging in this sick behaviour as far back as 2011.

Surrey Police’s Paedophile Online Investigation Team arrested Jakings at his home on June 21, 2017, and he was charged with seven offences and remanded in custody.

During the investigation, they found South Yorkshire Police arrested a then-21-year-old Jakings in 2011 for grooming and sexual offences against 13-year-old, but he convinced the girl not to help police, so they did not have enough evidence to charge him.

This woman assisted Surrey Police with its investigation.

Detective Constable Stephen Bosel said: “This is a very sensitive subject for the victims and I commend how brave they were in talking to us, despite the fact some of the offences date back multiple years. They should be proud that they have enabled us to bring this man to justice and prevent him from preying on other victims.”

Police have released some of the transcripts of Jakings’ conversations with his victims, that show he knew full well they were underage.

In one conversation he asked a 13-year-old to be his girlfriend, then agreed to “keeping it like friends with benefits”, and then told her “wish I was f****** u right now”.

A second transcript reveals him telling a girl who said she was in year eight at school that she was “sexy”, and her profile got him “so horny”.

At one point he told her: “We would probably have to be discreet though, we might think age is just a number, but most other people dont lol xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”

Jakings pleaded guilty at Guildford Crown Court of January 29 to two counts of sexual activity with a child, two counts of causing and inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, two counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity and one count of engaging in sexual activity in front of a child.

He was sentenced to eight years and four months in prison at the same court on March 23, he will get a 10-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order and will be named on the sex offenders register for life.