He appeared at Mold Crown Court today via a live television link from Altcourse Prison in Liverpool.
He was charged that between November last year and January 21 this year he made contact with a child, a girl aged 14, which he was prohibited from doing under a sexual harm prevention order made at Mold Crown Court in May 2015.
He was charged with grooming – meeting a child on at least two occasions following a period of grooming intending to commit a sexual offence – and going on to sexually assault the child.
Booth admitted all three charges and the prosecution then dropped a final charge which alleged that between November 15 last year and January 20 this year that he had a computer without the written permission of the Chief Constable of North Wales Police, something he was prohibited from doing under the 2015 order.
Booth, of Pottery House Cottage at Alltami Road, Alltami was remanded in custody pending sentence next month.
Judge Rowlands said: “I will need a full pre-sentence report as to risk in this case.”
He had pleaded guilty which was very important and which would be reflected in a reduction in sentence, he said.
But the offences he had admitted were very serious – the more so when his history of offending and breaching sexual harm prevention orders was considered.
“The court will have to look at the risk you pose to young children,” the judge told him.
“You must be prepared for a fairly significant sentence.”
Booth had been on licence at the time, said Judge Rowlands.
He needed to be prepared for an extended sentence.
Prosecuting barrister Simon Rogers said that a victim impact statement would be produced for the next hearing.
Booth was remanded in custody in the meantime.
The sexual harm prevention order, issued in 2015, was made for his lifetime and he was ordered to register with the police as a sex offender for life.
Three years ago a dangerous assessment was carried out and the court was told that he was not regarded as dangerous at that stage.
Former Wrexham teacher jailed again over downloading indecent child images
A former school teacher caught downloading child abuse images for a third time has been sent back to jail for three years.
Christopher Wayne Booth, 66, was employed at the Groves School in Wrexham until 2003 but lost his job for making indecent images of children.
The following year he was jailed for 15 months.
In 2006 he was back in court for breaching his Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO) by downloading more child abuse images and harassing a girl of 17 for which he received three years imprisonment.
Yesterday he received a new three year jail sentence after Mold Crown Court heard he had breached the SOPO again – by downloading hundreds more images.
An updated Sexual Offences Harm Order was made for his lifetime. He is already on the sexual offenders’ register for life.
Booth, of Alltami Road, Alltami, near Mold, had been subjected to a dangerousness assessment.
But the court heard he was not regarded as dangerous, was ashamed and remorseful, and wanted help to stop seeking out such material, described as “thoroughly disgusting” by the judge, Mr Recorder Wyn Lloyd Jones.
He told the defendant: “There are real children being abused in order to make these images. You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.”
The only real mitigation was his guilty plea, he said, otherwise he would have received a four and a half year sentence.
Booth admitted four breaches of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order, a lifetime order imposed at Chester Crown Court back in June 2006.
Between November 2012 and May 2014, he breached it by viewing Internet pornography, by possessing software that showed images of girls under 16, by refusing to hand over his laptop for police inspection, and by using the Internet for a purpose other than work, study or employment.
He admitted a charge of possessing an extreme image depicting intercourse between a human and a dog, and he also admitted 11 charges of making indecent images of children.
Finally, he admitted possessing more than 2,700 indecent images, 830 at the most serious level A, 610 at level B and 1,035 at level C.
Speaking after the case PC Ryan Edwards from North Wales Police’ Public Protection Unit said: “Those who do not comply with the obligations of their order, as is this case, will be out back before the courts and where appropriate, imprisoned.
“Booth blatantly breached his SOPO and we would like to assure the public that North Wales Police will take swift, positive action when offences occur.”
He added: “This sentence reflects that breaches of Sex Offender legislation are taken seriously by the courts and custodial sentences are a likely outcome for such offenders.”
Child abuse images teacher jailed again
An ex-teacher who was sent to prison for downloading child abuse images, has been jailed again for re-offending.
Christopher Booth, 46, of Mold, admitted possessing photographic equipment and using the internet – which breached a previous court order.
The former teacher at The Groves School in Wrexham was jailed for three years after admitting porn offences, and harassing a teenage girl.
He is already on the sex register and banned from working with children.
Booth was jailed for 15 months – later reduced to 10 months on appeal – for possessing child porn in November 2004.
He was released in April 2005, but in December that year a teenage girl told police he was repeatedly sending her text messages.
Booth had previously been dismissed from his teaching job for sending her text messages.
Matthew Dunford, prosecuting, said: “It appears from the papers that the defendant had, and still has, something of an obsession with her.”
When police visited the home he shared with his elderly mother, they discovered photographic equipment and receipts showing he had subscribed to pornographic sites.
They also discovered 64 pornographic images.
Mold Crown Court heard Booth had breached a previous court order by having camera and recording equipment, and by surfing the net for porn.
Judge Mr Justice Butterfield said Booth was clearly unable to control his desires.
He added: “I take into account you guilty pleas, your co-operation with the police and the shame and disgrace that you have brought upon yourself and your family.
“But my first concern must be the protection of others.”
His offence was compounded by the harassment of the girl, “with whom you are, or certainly were, in my judgement, obsessed,” the judge said.
Jones admitted possessing 64 indecent photographs of children on his computer, and five counts of making indecent images by downloading them last year.
Myles Wilson, defending, said: “There can be no two ways about it, he recognises that he enjoys viewing pornography, especially pornography involving images of young teenage girls.
“Years ago such images would not be especially easy to obtain, now through the internet they are available at the click of a button from every home computer.”
The judge warned Booth he would face a life sentence for public protection, if he persisted.