January 2018

This is the disgusting scene of a Doncaster toddler’s bedroom which brought a mother and father to court on child neglect charges.

Kerry Rybak, 27, and Darren Stanley, 26, from Bentley, were handed a 16 month sentence suspended for two years on Tuesday after both pleading guilty at an earlier hearing.

Judge Sarah Wright said their two-year-old child showed signs of ’emotional and physical’ neglect in this ‘awful’ case.

The photos, released by the Crown Prosecution Service and South Yorkshire Police, shows a scarce room filled with a filthy bare mattress and faeces covering the walls.

The window is covered up by two bits of broken bed frame which is holding down a grimy black curtain. Wrappers are also scattered on the floor of the unkempt room.

Both must take part in a rehabilitation order.

Sheffield Crown Court heard Doncaster Council social workers entered the property in Bentley because Rybak was pregnant and had ‘not made sufficient contact’ with social services.

Ian West, prosecuting, said the two-year-old in question, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found wandering around the house in a ‘t-shirt with no nappy on’ and the downstairs of the home was in a ‘state’.

“From the initial assessment, social workers became increasingly concerned and followed up an inspection of the house,” Mr West said.

“The child’s bedroom was scarce and in a disgusting state with faeces on the walls.

“It’s inferred from the photos and the inadequacies of the defendants, this was ongoing for some time.”

The court heard social workers contacted the police and both were interviewed and made admissions they ‘couldn’t cope’.

The child was ‘below average’ in terms of its development and was subsequently taken into care along with the newborn baby which was born some months later.

Sentencing the pair, Judge Wright said: “There was no real support from the family and it is very clear you struggled to be parents.

“You reached the conclusion that you couldn’t care for your children.”

Rybak and Stanley, who sobbed throughout the hearing, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing.

Judge Wright handed the pair 16 months in prison, suspended for two years.