February 2018

Former policeman has finally faced justice for abusing a young girl

A former policeman has finally faced justice for abusing a young girl more than 30 years ago.

Raymond Wild was confronted by the vulnerable victim he repeatedly molested and he admitted what he did to her.

As a child she was too scared to speak out as he said it was “their secret.”

But as a grown woman she confided in others and found the courage to face him in the 1990s.

She told him he had wrecked her life and asked him why he did it, a jury heard previously.

He told her: “I thought that this day would never come…I thought you wanted it to happen. I thought you liked it.”

He said he was sorry, but went on to deny the abuse and convinced others it was all lies.

The blameless victim was labelled a troublemaker and denied justice for decades.

Prosecutor Paul Cleasby said the young woman reported the matter to police years later in 2002.

Wild – who has lived in the central, Hemlington and Coulby Newham areas of Middlesbrough and Barnard Castle – denied any wrongdoing.

Prosecutors decided there was not enough evidence to proceed 16 years ago.

But the victim asked for the case to be reviewed in 2015, new evidence was found and the case was brought to trial.

Wild still refused to admit his guilt for the crimes, which he committed after working with the police in Hartlepool for four years.

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said her tormentor’s denials put her through two years waiting to give evidence.

“The emotional devastation of having to give evidence is something I fear I will never recover from,” she said in a statement read out at Teesside Crown Court on Monday.

“Having to give evidence felt like I was on trial, not him.”

She said Wild was her “worst nightmare”.

She said the abuse left her terrified, emotionally confused and feeling shame and embarrassment.

It affected her marriage, children, and work with “intrusive thoughts” which caused anxiety and depression.

Wild denied seven indecent assault charges and was convicted of three by a jury last month.

Jurors could not decide on the remaining four counts, which were left to lie on the court file.

Matthew Morgan, defending, said: “It was more than 30 years ago and he has led a blameless life since.

“He’s not in the best of health. He’s not a well man.”

He said Wild had chronic heart disease and had been “through the mill” with the court case.

He added Wild, who had worked in sales, in a failed novelty shop, and as a bid writer for an engineering company, had severe financial difficulties.

Wild’s disabled wife relied on him and they would have to sell their £300,000 home in Heybridge, Maldon, Essex, as a result of his conviction.

Judge Howard Crowson said the victim’s courage and persistence had been vindicated with Wild’s conviction.

“She should feel no guilt. She is blameless,” he said.

Wild was jailed for 11 years plus two years’ supervision and will be on the sex offenders’ register for life.

January 2018

Former Hartlepool police officer found guilty of sexual assaults on girl

A former police officer is facing years in prison after being convicted of child sex abuse.

Raymond Wild, who was a serving officer in Hartlepool for about four years, sexually abused the child after he left the police to open a shop.

The female victim came forward years later after confiding in her first boyfriend, and two colleagues.

Wild denied all the allegations against him, but was convicted of three of seven charges by a jury at Teesside Crown Court.

The charges for which he was found guilty relate to him touching the girl.

The jury was unable to reach a verdict on the four other charges which allege Wild incited the girl to touch him, and perform a sex act on him.

Judge Howard Crowson discharged the jury from considering the remaining charges after the forewoman said there was no possibility of the panel reaching verdicts even if given more time.

Paul Cleasby, prosecuting, said the Crown would need to consult the victim before deciding whether to seek a retrial. “My initial view is we are unlikely to seek a retrial,”

Mr Cleasby added. Wild, 62, of Heybridge, Maldon, Essex, denied five charges of sexual assault of a child, and he denied two charges of indecency with a child.

He was convicted of three charges of sexual assault. Matthew Morgan, defending, said he would not be seeking a report from the Probation Service before sentence.

Judge Crowson adjourned the case until February 12.

The judge told Wild: “Because of Mr Cleasby’s indication to me it would be sensible to say you will likely be sentenced on February 12. “You may have bail in the meantime, but you know the inevitability is a prison sentence.”

Wild was bailed on condition he does not contact the victim directly or indirectly, and he does not refer to her on social media.