January 2018

Assistant headmaster, 48, and ex-BBC producer who kept a secret hoard of half a million indecent images of children is jailed for three years

An assistant headmaster and former BBC producer amassed a secret hoard of more than half a million indecent images over 20 years.

David Allison, 48, of Ottershaw, Surrey, has now been jailed for three years after police raided his home and found the massive haul – some of which he had taken on secret cameras hidden around the school where he worked.

Officers found several devices containing images of children taken and recorded around the school, including images showing girls undressing.

Allison admitted four counts of making indecent photos of a child, one count of recording a private act and another of voyeurism by installing equipment.

Judge Robert Fraser was told that detectives are still trawling through the images as part of the fast-track prosecution of the teacher.

Disgraced Allison, who was hoping to become a headteacher, appeared at Guildford Crown Court on Friday afternoon, where the court heard he was the official photographer at the prestigious private Catholic school where he taught.

The 48-year-old paedophile, who had previously worked as an assistant producer in London and had experience on camera and as a newsreader, was told by a judge that it was both depressing and devastating that a man of his background had ended up in court.

Police found 635,902 indecent photos and 15,332 videos on Allison’s computer when they raided his home on November 29 last year.

The 48-year-old was found with 5,038 category A images – the worst level – 8,693 category B images, and 84,300 category C images.  

Search words including ‘pre-teen’, ‘hardcore’, and ‘lolly’ were also found on his computer. 

‘Recent access to a live stream website out of curiosity was when he felt he had crossed the line,’ said prosecutor Mr Harris. ‘He kept the images and movies on a single hard drive and one day said he would draw a line on it and put the disc through the shredder.’

Allison admitted three counts of making indecent images of children, one count of taking indecent images of children and two counts of voyeurism at an earlier hearing.

Defending him, Sarah Read said Allison fully understood that he needed to be punished.

‘He is deeply ashamed and disgusted in himself and is aware fully of the far-reaching impact on those that are affected,’ she said.

Sentencing him to three years in prison, Judge Fraser said he found it depressing and devastating that somebody of Allison’s background had ended up in court.

‘This is an extremely serious case, not just because of the sheer quantity, but also your position,’ he said.

Allison also received a lifetime Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) and was placed on the Sex Offenders register for life.

December 2017

Former assistant head teacher pleads guilty to making indecent photos of a child and voyeurism

A former assistant head teacher at a school in Chertsey has admitted a number of sexual offences.

David Allison, 48, of Shaw Close in Ottershaw, who worked at Salesian School, appeared at Guildford Magistrates’ Court on December 1.

He has pleaded guilty to four counts of making indecent photos of a child.

Allison also admitted one count of recording a private act and another of voyeurism by installing equipment, or constructing or adapting a structure.

The case has been committed to Guildford Crown Court for sentencing, with a date and time yet to be fixed.

A spokesman for Salesian said Allison was suspended on November 29 when the school was notified by police. He added Allison was dismissed “in the last few days”.

In a letter to parents, dated December 14, head teacher James Kibble said: “I am writing to share some very challenging news.

“David Allison, who was an assistant head teacher at our school, has been arrested, pleaded guilty and will shortly be sentenced for charges relating to the downloading of inappropriate images of young people and voyeurism.”

The letter adds police have confirmed Allison had no previous criminal record and Mr Kibble says he is “confident that his recruitment in 2009 was compliant”.

However, he adds the school will be bringing forward its next audit of safeguarding procedures to January “to ensure there is nothing more we could be doing as a school going forward”.

The letter finishes: “This is a deeply saddening incident and I am most sincerely sorry it has happened. However, I have every confidence we will pull together as a community to get through this.

“The relationships that exist throughout our school are our strength and I am absolutely determined not to let the action of a single individual cancel out all that is good about our school.

“I look forward to working with everyone concerned to repair any damage done.”

When approached by Get Surrey, the Salesian spokesman added the school did not wish to make further comment beyond the letter sent to parents.

Salesian is a Catholic co-education comprehensive school for children aged 11 to 18. The school’s website states it has approximately 1,500 students, including 380 sixth formers.