‘Dangerous’ Tunbridge Wells paedophile jailed for 14 years
A paedophile who travelled to the Philippines to film himself abusing a two-year-old girl has been jailed.
Timothy Smith, 42, of Burslem Road, Tunbridge Wells, last month admitted 16 charges relating to various child sex offences.
These included the sexual assault of another child and sharing thousands of indecent images of children.
He was handed an extended sentence of 14 years with a minimum term of 10 years at Maidstone Crown Court.
Judge Martin Joy told the former Tesco security guard: “There is no doubt you do pose a very great danger, a significant danger, to children.”
Kent Police raided Smith’s home in November 2016 after “suspicious online activity”.
Officers found more than 37,000 still images on his hard drive, with many classed as category A – the most serious.
During interrogation, he admitted a sexual interest in young children and revealed he had been offending for a decade.
Kent Police said he referred to himself as a paedophile and admitted visiting the Philippines in 2015 to abuse the child.
On 9 November Smith was convicted of:
Three counts of sexual assault of a child between August and November 2015
Three counts of distributing indecent images of children
Three counts of taking indecent images of children
Six counts of making indecent images of children
One of sexual activity with a child in August 2013
Judge Joy branded Smith’s crimes “abhorrent” and said the abuse had a particularly devastating effect on one victim who later tried to kill herself.
The judge also expressed surprise Smith had been allowed out on bail and said it was “remarkable” that he had been cautioned in 1995 for sexual assault of a child under four.
He has been placed on the sex offenders register for life.
Tunbridge Wells pervert filmed himself abusing a child under 5 in the Philippines
A paedophile from Tunbridge Wells will be sentenced after he filmed himself abusing a child under five in the Philippines.
Timothy Smith, 42, admitted visiting the country and saving videos of the abuse on his computer, after he repeatedly targeted his victim in 2015.
Smith also had at least 37,000 still indecent images of children, many which were classed as category A – the most serious.
Smith pleaded guilty to 16 separate charges relating to various sex offences, at Maidstone Crown Court
These also included the sexual assault of another victim in 2013 and making and sharing thousands of indecent images of children.
The extent of Smith’s crimes became apparent following an initial Kent Police investigation into suspicious online activity at his home in Burslem Road.
On November 4, 2016 a search warrant was executed at the address by officers from the Paedophile On-Line Investigation Team.
Smith was arrested and a number of items of computer hardware were seized.
Smith also readily confessed to searching, saving and sharing indecent images of children, telling officers it was ‘his thing’.
Forensic checks by police were carried out on the items seized from Smith’s home, which included two laptops and a USB hard drive.
He was found to have stored videos containing abuse of children which combined had a playback time totalling more than two days and nine hours.
He has been bailed to be sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on December 15.