October 2017

Vile child rapist jailed for 16 years

A rapist started a 16-year jail term as the boy he abused said: “He deserves whatever’s coming to him.”

Stuart Wood, 49, went to prison still denying the string of sex crimes which blighted a young boy’s life.

He subjected the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, to escalating abuse more than a decade ago when he lived in Middlesbrough.

Prosecutor Rupert Doswell told how Wood groomed, molested and forced himself on the boy.

He said: “The defendant acted as if it was normal for this to happen.

“He was never actually aggressive towards him but he was assertive, and by doing so he got him to do it.”

When the boy realised it was wrong he put a stop to it, but was made to feel as if it was his fault, Teesside Crown Court heard on Thursday.

He bottled things up until years later he had “something like a breakdown” and spoke out.

Now an adult, he walked into a police station and reported the matter in May last year.

This was two months after Wood was given a one-year suspended prison sentence for possessing indecent images of children.

Wood, of Holystone Drive, Ingleby Barwick, claimed none of the sexual attacks happened.

He was convicted on all nine counts he faced after a trial last month – six of rape and three of causing or inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.

He still denies the offences.

The victim of the sex crimes said in a statement read out in court: “The past two years have been hell.

“I drink to forget and go on a bender, but then when I’m in that situation it’s all I think about, and then I’m written off for weeks.

“I never wanted to bring this to court. It was never about that.

“I actually felt guilty about it because I didn’t want this. But after how he’s twisted things and the questions he’s asked me to make me out to be a liar, that has made me so angry that I now think he deserves whatever’s coming to him.

“The verdict for me is irrelevant. This isn’t the end for me. I woke up yesterday and felt numb like I was at a funeral.

“I don’t know what to do next. My life has been on hold. I put everything aside, my family, my career.

“I’m going to take baby steps. I’m lucky to have the support I have. I wouldn’t be here without them.”

Judge Tony Briggs told Wood: “He clearly has been badly affected by what you did to him.

“It appears that the effects of this behaviour continue to cause him serious difficulty.”

He jailed Wood for 16 years, plus an extended one year’s licence.

Under new sentencing provisions, Wood will not automatically be released halfway through the term.

He will become eligible at that point, but the Parole Board will decide whether he can be released.

He was given an indefinite sexual harm prevention order and will be on the sex offenders’ register for life.

Advertisements