SERIAL sex offender banned from being near children for the rest of his life
A SERIAL sex offender has been banned from being near children for the rest of his life.
Robert Gordon was given an eight-year sentence – three in jail, five under strict conditions in the community – as a sheriff branded his crimes “wicked”.
He was also given an indefinite Sexual Offences Prevention Order with a number of conditions, including banning him from communicating with anyone under the age of 16.
The 64-year-old filmed a mother and eight-month-old baby in a swimming pool changing room and then tried to conceal evidence of his guilt.
He had previously been jailed for a similar sexual offence in 2009 and made subject to an eight-year ban from approaching or contacting children, but it expired eight months before he visited the Meadow Centre in Dumbarton.
And Sheriff William Gallacher last week feared Gordon was “focused or driven” to continue his crimes.
Gordon, whose address was given as Greenock Prison, pleaded guilty in October to recording or attempting to record, the mother and her son in a state of undress on June 27 last year.
He also admitted trying to conceal evidence of his guilt on the same day, in that he claimed he swallowed a SIM card when he, in fact, concealed it, therefore attempting to pervert the course of justice.
Last week at the court, the fiscal depute, Kenneth Grieve, requested an indefinite sexual offences prevention order (SOPO) to bar Gordon from approaching or contacting anyone under the age of 16.
His use of devices with the internet will also be restricted unless it tracks the websites he uses and any communications.
Mr Grieve added: “He is known to be using dating websites to meet females which may afford him access to children. He has previously failed to disclose relationships. He used a phone camera in the commission of the most recent offence.”
Before Sheriff Gallacher granted the indefinite order, he expressed concern.
He said: “This was already in place, which didn’t stop anything taking place. That’s what causes me the greatest anxiety.
“This was a man sentenced to a significant pentalty in 2009 with an extension period and here we are again.
“He has the potential for causing real harm.
“Is what I can do in relation to that adequate?”
Pervert who tried to secretly film mum and baby in changing cubicle has sentence deferred
A PERVERT who tried to secretly film a mum and her eight-month-old son in a changing cubicle at a Dumbarton leisure centre is expected to find out his fate next month.
Robert Gordon admitted recording, or attempting to record, footage of the pair in a state of undress at the Meadow Centre on June 27.
Gordon, who pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing in October, was due to be sentenced at the town’s sheriff court on Friday.
But sentencing on the 64-year-old, who was listed in court papers as being a prisoner at HMP Greenock, was deferred further after it was revealed that Gordon’s solicitor had not been told of the fate of an application for a “sexual offences prevention order”.
Lawyer Brian McGuire said he did not know whether the application had been made, and that he would need time to see the order and talk it over with Gordon before addressing the court further.
He said: “He had hoped the matter would be brought to a conclusion today.
“But there was an expectation that such an order would be served within seven days. I’ve never seen it, and it’s only fair I should be aware of its elements and have the opportunity to discuss it with my client.”
Sheriff William Gallacher told Mr McGuire: “I’m inevitably going to impose an extended sentence. But it’s not a trivial matter and you will clearly want to react to the order.”
Turning to address Gordon, who has a history of committing similar offences, the sheriff said: “You know I’m going to sentence you but I need to get the conditions right.”
Gordon also admitted attempting to pervert the course of justice by falsely telling police he had swallowed the sim card in the phone used to try and record the pair.
The case was adjourned until January 10.
Pervert filmed mother and baby in swimming pool changing room
A PERVERT was caught attempting to film a mother and her eight-month-old baby son while they were changing.
The “disgraceful” incident took place in the changing rooms of the Meadow Centre swimming pool in Dumbarton.
Robert Gordon, 64, whose address in court was given as Greenock Prison, appeared from custody on indictment at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Tuesday, October 3.
He pleaded guilty to recording, or attempting to record, the mother and her son in a state of undress on June 27 this year at the Meadow Centre.
Gordon, who has previous convictions for similar offences, also admitted trying to conceal evidence of his guilt on the same day, in that he claimed he swallowed a SIM card when he, in fact, concealed it, therefore attempting to pervert the course of justice.
His behaviour was described by a sheriff as an “act of disgraceful wickedness.”
Fiscal depute Kevin Doherty told the court: “He [Gordon] appeared from custody on June 28 in respect of this matter, he made no plea and was committed for further examination.
“The complainer is a young woman in her 30s and her son was eight-months-old.
“She took him swimming at the Meadow Centre and the lesson concluded at 11.30am.
“The complainer took him into a small cubicle to change.
“She was in five to 10 minutes, dressing her boy and in doing so she was singing to the child.
“As she turned around to leave the cubicle she noticed a mobile phone being moved from under the cubicle adjacent.
“She started to scream, realising that she was being recorded and screamed that somebody had been filming her.”
The court was told how the mother secured the baby and went to confront the person in the adjacent cubicle.
“The victim was so intimidated by fright but immediately took action to investigate,” said Mr Doherty.
“She left the cubicle and kicked the door open. When she did so, Gordon was standing with his back to her fidgeting with something.”
The victim, the court was told, said to him: “You dirty b******. Were you filming me?”
The complainer was accompanied by two companions who were alerted to the incident.
Mr Doherty said: “The complainer told them what had happened and a male friend attempted to remove the phone from the accused. But he was unable to.”
The incident was reported to staff and the three were said to be “upset and agitated”.
At this point Gordon was still within the cubicle but he eventually appeared and said to members of staff: “Can we go somewhere more private? I will not run.”
It was also revealed that Gordon was escorted to an office and said to staff: “I need help.”
He also said to staff: “I hope you don’t get this too often.”
Mr Doherty said: “He was informed that police were being contacted and would be in attendance.
“Police came to establish the circumstances then informed him he was being detained.
“He said: ‘I’m guilty. I did it’.”
In respect of another charge on the indictment, Gordon said that he had swallowed a SIM card from the phone but it was seized and later examined.
Some time later, the SIM was found by a member of the public and handed to staff.
Mr Doherty said, after witness statements were obtained, the accused was cautioned and charged. When interviewed he made no comment to all questions.
He added: “He was interviewed in connection with the offences and made no comment to all questions. He made no reply on being cautioned and charged.“The phone was analysed, as was the SIM. The outcome was that neither the phone nor the SIM recorded anything, although it’s possible they were recorded on to a Cloud.”
Sheriff Gallacher told Gordon: “This offence of voyeurism was a disgraceful intrusion. It’s an act of disgraceful wickedness.
“You have a history of these offences in this matter, so I will consider the length of the sentence when I get a suitable background report.”
Sentence was deferred until November 16 in order to obtain a criminal justice social work report and Gordon will remain in custody until that time.