Suspended jail term for ‘sex act’ Wigan man
A pervert from Wigan who performed a sex act in the presence of a young girl has been given a suspended prison sentence.
David Sculthorpe, who formerly lived in the Worsley Mesnes area, struck when he thought the girl, then aged 13, was asleep in bed, but she wasn’t.
Appearing for sentence at Bolton Crown Court, Sculthorpe had already pleaded guilty to sexually touching the girl, on an occasion between July 2004 and July 2005.
Judge Richard Gioserano imposed a 16-month prison term, suspended for two years on the 57-year-old. Sculthorpe was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register for 10 years, as a result of his conviction.
And the judge also issued a restraining order, preventing him from having any contact with his victim for the next five years.
An earlier hearing before Wigan and Leigh Magistrates Court was told by prosecutor Steve Woodman that the defendant’s actions had had a long-lasting impact on the victim.
Sculthorpe. who had been on bail before his crown court hearing, on condition he did not approach an address in Worsley Mesnes and have any contact with under 16s, had been living in temporary accommodation, ahead of learning his fate.
Wigan child molester awaits sentence
A Wigan pervert who performed a sex act in the presence of a young girl will be sentenced by a crown court judge.
Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court heard David Sculthorpe indicate a guilty plea to sexually touching the girl knowing she was under 16.
The 57-year-old, who formerly lived in Worsley Mesnes, performed the sexual act believing the 13-year-old to be asleep some time between July 26 2004 and July 15 2005 but she wasn’t.
Prosecuting, Steve Woodman said the incident was a serious offence which had a long-lasting impact on the victim.
Sculthorpe told the court he was living at the Bellingham Hotel and was ordered to continue residing there as his bail condition prevented him returning to an address on Kingsley Avenue.
He was also ordered not to contact the victim and not to have any unsupervised encounter with a child under 16.
He will now appear at Bolton Crown Court on October 18. The magistrates also ordered Sculthorpe to speak to the probation service so a report could be prepared for the sentencing judge.