September 2017

Three men and a youth who gang-raped a teenage girl in Ramsgate have been jailed

Three men and a youth who raped a teenage girl at a flat in Ramsgate have been sentenced at Canterbury Crown Court

Shershah Muslimyar, 20, formerly of Hovenden Close, Canterbury; Tamin Rahmani, 37, formerly of Northwood Road, Ramsgate; Rafiullah Hamidy, 24, formerly of High Street, Herne Bay; and a 17-year-old, formerly of  Ashford, who cannot be named, attacked the 16-year-old at Rahmani’s home above the former 555 takeaway in Northwood Road in the early hours of Sunday 18 September 2016.

The three adults have each been sentenced to 14 years and the youth to seven years.

Hamidy fled to Italy following the incident but was returned to the UK in March 2017 after a European Arrest Warrant was issued.

All four-denied rape but were found guilty in May following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court.

The jury heard how the victim had been out with a group of friends in Ramsgate but left them in the early hours with the intention of walking to another girl’s home in Cliftonville.

On the way she was approached by a group of men, whom she asked for directions.

Instead they led her to Rahmani’s flat, where she was raped before being escorted back out of the building.

Two members of the public returning from a night out invited the victim into their home after they found her crying in the street.

The incident was reported to police shortly afterwards.

Officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate carried out extensive enquiries into the incident and were able to link the defendants through forensic evidence and CCTV of their movements beforehand.

Rahmani was the first to be arrested on Sunday 18 September followed by Muslimyar three days later. The youth was arrested on Monday 5 December.

Hamidy could not be traced so a photograph of him was placed on the ‘Most Wanted’ page of the Kent Police website and circulated via social media.

It was later established he had fled to Taranto in the Apulia region of southern Italy, where he was detained by officers from the local police force under a European Arrest Warrant.

Hamidy was returned to the UK following an extradition hearing and taken into custody after arriving at Heathrow Airport on Tuesday 28 March.