September 2017

Woman who trafficked underage girls to drugs and grooming ring JAILED

A woman who trafficked underage girls to a drugs and grooming ring that forced young females to have sex with multiple men has been jailed for six years and three months.

Carolann Gallon (who has the nickname Chucky) was one of 18 people convicted as part of Operation Sanctuary, an investigation into the sexual abuse of vulnerable girls.

The 22-year-old, of Hareside Court, Newcastle, admitted three counts of trafficking.

Another gang member, Abdulhamid Minoyee, was sentenced to 15 years.

The 34-year-old, of Gainsborough Grove, Newcastle, had been convicted of raping a woman with learning difficulties, sexual assault, and the supply of drugs.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that Gallon took girls – two of whom were in care and one who was only 13 years old – to the parties knowing they would be sexually abused.

She also took a girl with learning difficulties to a flat where she was raped by Minoyee.

So far this week 11 men have been jailed for a total of more than 139 years as part of Operation Shelter.

Four men were previously given a total of a further 20 years.

The prosecution said after Gallon was arrested, she told police: “I didn’t force them into having sex. They [are] not kids, they’ve got their own mind.

“If they’re mortal [drunk] they are going to do something, why get mortal in the first place?

“It’s self-inflicted, I’ve got no sympathy.”

A total of 16 men and one woman have now been jailed, with one more to be sentenced on 14 September.

Victims were lured to parties, known as “sessions”, at addresses around the West End of Newcastle by men who apparently befriended them.

There they were plied with alcohol or drugs – some became addicted – and forced to have sex.

During sentencing, victims’ impact statements described their psychological damage, and those living close to the party addresses spoke of being “put through hell”.

Gallon became upset in the dock as her barrister mitigated. She pulled her jumper over her face and started to cry.

She was jailed for six years and three months.

She was also given an indefinite sexual harm prevention order.