September 2017

Family weeps as sex offender is sent to prison

A Sussex pervert has been jailed after meeting up with a schoolboy for sex.

Over the course of three years, Adam Dixon met the child for walks in woodland, took him for a drive in his car and spoke to him outside his home where they would perform sex acts on each other, the court heard.

After the first encounter in the woods, the pair kept in touch on MSN messenger and met up a few more times.

Edward Hand, prosecuting at Hove Crown Court, said his actions were an “abuse of trust” after he supported the victim when he came out as gay aged 14.

Dixon admitted intentionally inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and three counts of sexual activity with a boy when he was aged 14 or 15.

The judge said it was clear from statements he had read from the victim and his mother that the actions had a “profound effect” on the rest of his adolescent and adult life.

He did not disclose the incidents to police until last year, when he was in his early twenties.

When police arrested him, his phone was seized and officers found a conversation on teen mobile chat app Kik from February 26 last year where he was seen to encourage another user to take part in sexual activity with a child.

The person he was talking to purported to be a 14-year-old with two younger brothers aged 11 and three.

The user talked about how he would perform sex acts on his 11-year-old brother while he slept and the extent of the conversation showed Dixon “actively encouraged” more sexual activity and became aroused by it, Mr Hand said.

Officers were never able to trace the other user or find out if any crimes had been committed, which prompted Judge Anthony Niblett to say “one has to hope it was fantasy”.

The 30-year-old, dressed in a suit, sat quietly as he listened to the details of the case against him.

Judge Niblett was urged to spare Dixon jail so he could help look after elderly relatives but he said time behind bars was “inevitable” when the offences occurred at such a “vulnerable stage” in the victim’s life.

Dixon’s relatives wept in the public gallery as he was handed the “least possible sentence” of three years behind bars.

Dixon, of Amberley Close, Wick, was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order.

The prosecution initially charged him with rape but Mr Hand asked the court for this to lie on file.

Judge Niblett formally found him not guilty of another charge of six offences of possessing indecent images of children after the prosecution offered no evidence.

Advertisements