August 2017

Victim horrified after paedophile spotted back in Bristol

The victim of a convicted sex attacker has spoken of her horror after he was spotted on the streets of Bristol after being released from prison.

John White, now 46, was released earlier this year after being convicted more than four years ago.

He had been found guilty in Bristol Crown Court of two charges of causing or inciting a child to engage in a sexual activity and one charge of attempted rape.

The judge sentenced him on April 29, 2013, to nine years behind bars, and he was ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register. He has since been released.

Witnesses and the victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said they were horrified to find out he had been allowed back into Bristol.

His victim was just a teenager when she was abused.

She said: “I heard [from a witness’s family] that he had been seen in Bristol. He has been told to not come into my neighbourhood, but he is allowed in Cabot Circus and around central Bristol.

“I go there to buy clothes and other stuff, and I am there a lot of the time. It’s just wrong. I’m really worried I might bump into him.”

White had become close to the victim’s family and started to get to know her while she was still a child. He invited her over and gave her alcoholic drinks and asked her to have sex with him. But when she said no, he tried to rape her.

After reporting the incidents to the police in 2011, the trial that followed brought her into a period of anxiety and depression.

“I didn’t want to live in Bristol anymore and wanted to move out,” she said.

“I didn’t want to go to school, my behaviour became appalling and I did none of my exams. For years I didn’t want a boyfriend.

“I didn’t even want to report it because I thought I would be the bad one. I don’t know what would happen if I bumped into him again. It would be terrible.”

The families of the witnesses who testified in court say they want him moved out of the region as well. They are now in talks with the probation service to ensure he never returns.

“We do not want him anywhere in Bristol at all,” she said. “It was only a few days ago when I heard he was out.”

Ministry of Justice guidelines state victims can make representations to the Parole Board about licence conditions, including an exclusion zone or preventing the offender from contacting the victim.

A spokesman said they do not comment on individual cases.

He added: “Public protection is our top priority.

Advertisements