Mum of sexual assault victim opens up about ‘every parents’ worst nightmare’
A BROKEN-HEARTED mum has opened up about the devastating moment she found out her child had been sexually assaulted by a man.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons to protect the identity of the victim, described the discovery as ‘every parents’ worst nightmare’.
She said: “I was mortified and disgusted,
“My child is terrified and crying all the time.
“She is upset and it’s not fair.
“My daughter will have to live with this for the rest of her life.
“She has been punished so he needed to be punished.
“It’s not a long sentence but I understand the reasons why.
“I just want other people to know what happened.
“No family should have to go through what we have been through.
“We have been through hell – it has been torture.”
Peter Wharton, of Patterdale Avenue, Orford, was jailed for 12 months at Liverpool Crown Court on Wednesday, July 12 following a trial.
The 39-year-old, who steadfastly denied the charges against him, was found guilty of sexual assault on a child under the age of 13 and an attempted sexual assault.
The victim’s mum said she can breathe a sigh of relief now that justice has been served.
She also praised her daughter’s school for warning the pupil about the dangers of sexual abuse and assault.
“She has been so brave because she spoke out straightaway and told my mum,” she said.
“She has been so strong.
“Just before it happened she had a sex education class and it’s a good job.
“She knew what had happened was wrong.
“I’m so grateful to the school.”
Since the incident last summer, the victim has needed to have therapy as she comes to terms with what has happened.
But the mum said she is proud of how her daughter handled the situation at the time.
She has spoken out in the hope other victims will be inspired by her daughter’s bravery and will build up the courage to report this type of crime.
“I hope other children speak to their parents or somebody they can trust after reading about what has happened,” she said.