October 2014

Wrexham man sexually groomed young boy

A 19-year-old man has been sentenced to nine months’ youth detention for sexually grooming a 14-year-old boy.

Joseph Gavin Taylor, 19, of Saxon Street, Wrexham, admitted he met the boy in October last year following a series of texts of a sexual nature.

He had also given the boy an expensive mobile phone.

Mold Crown Court heard how the offence came to light when police found the boy in a drunken state in Wrexham town centre.

The boy, reported missing by care workers, was taken to hospital by the police.

But when they examined the phone they found a series of text messages from Taylor arranging to meet him after making offers to pay him for sexual favours.

In addition to the nine months youth detention, Taylor was placed on the sex register for 10 years.

A 10-year SOPO (sexual offences prevention order) was also made to prevent him having unsupervised contact with boys under 16.

The boy had refused to make a statement of complaint and Taylor’s basis of plea, in which he said sex did not take place between them, was accepted.

Judge Rhys Rowlands told him: “There is no way of knowing whether that is true or not but it is on that basis that you fall to be sentenced.”

Despite his denials in the pre-sentence report, Taylor‘s intention had been to engage in sexual activity with the boy, otherwise he would not have pleaded guilty to the offence.

“You were prepared to pay for it. You also gave him an expensive mobile phone,”Judge Rowlands told him.

He said he took into account Taylor’s guilty plea and the fact he had a troubled childhood himself.

Myles Wilson, prosecuting, said the 14-year-old boy refused to co-operate with the police, but the texts on his phone showed he and Taylor had arranged to meet. Taylor was quite clearly planning to have sex with him.

They had discussed a range of sexual activity for between £60 and £200.

Wrexham town centre CCTV showed the two together.

The boy was drunk, he staggered into an alley and slumped down where he was found by the police.