‘Manipulative’ wrestler jailed for showing sexually explicit pictures to 12-year-old fan
A former wrestling boss who staged popular events has been jailed for 18 months after grooming a 12-year-old fan.
Steven Biggs, 40, who used to run Total Action Wrestling events in Dunstable, Leighton Buzzard and Milton Keynes, was told by a judge he had been ‘manipulative and devious’ towards the girl who was infatuated with him and two other wrestlers.
The offending occurred in early 2015 and Luton Crown Court was told that Biggs no longer had any contact with the promotions and the company had closed.
Biggs, of Northumbria Gardens, Northampton, had pleaded not guilty to attempting to meet a child following sexual grooming and causing a child to watch a sexual act, namely an image of himself masturbating.
But Biggs, who previously lived in the Lewsey Farm area of Luton, was found guilty by a jury on Thursday and jailed for 18 months on Friday.
The victims mother said in a statement that her daughter’s childhood had been stolen and irreparable damage had been done to her.
She also said that it had affected their relationship and that her daughter has been bullied at school in relation to these incidents.
Two other wrestlers – Scott Dickins, 26, of Claverley Green, Luton and Philip Page, 28, of Brooklands Road, Bletchley- had been given suspended prison sentences in February at the same court after admitting also grooming the girl online, but it was not suggested that the three had been acting together.
Dickins received an eight month sentence suspended for two years and Page received a 12 month sentence suspended for two years.
Chetna Patel, prosecuting, said Biggs had been in contact with the now 14-year-old girl online, and sent her images of himself masturbating.
He was sexually grooming her in an attempt to meet up with her.
She said Biggs was the ‘promotor, organiser and manager of the wrestling group’.
Miss Patel told Luton Crown Court: “He knew that young females were in awe of the wrestlers and used that to send her messages.
“The main difference between the other two and Mr Biggs is the not guilty plea.
“It meant a 14-year-old girl had to come to court and give evidence.”
Lisa Bald, defending said: “There is no suggestion this was a joint enterprise, they were all acting individually.
“This case has had a massive impact on him over the last two years. Prison would mean he would lose his job, his housing and contact with his two children.”
She urged the court to suspend the sentence.
But Judge Barbara Mensah said that was not possible.
“It is true the other men sent messages that were very explicit and very disgusting and more shocking than your subtle overtures.
“But a 12 year old was more likely to be deceived by someone like you, using everyday language. The harm you caused was just as great, if not greater than the others,” she said.
She also made Biggs the subject of a five year Sexual Harm Prevention Order, so that he cannot have unsupervised contact with girls under 16.