Former Craven man guilty of ‘appalling’ sexual abuse
A former Craven man has been told he faces a substantial prison sentence after a jury found him guilty of sexual offences against two girls and boy.
Kenneth Stares, 63, had denied a series of charges including rape, indecent assault, sexual activity with a child and taking indecent photographs during a five-day trial at Bradford Crown Court, but on Monday afternoon the jury returned guilty verdicts on 12 of the 15 allegations.
The jury heard last Tuesday that the main complainant first reported Stares to police back in 2008.
“The allegations that she made in 2008 were not pursued by the police,” prosecutor Michael Collins told the jury.
“These current proceedings are a result of the complaint being made again to the police and on this occasion the police fully investigating the matters. It’s during the course of that investigation that the police happen upon two other potential victims.”
The jury returned unanimous guilty verdicts on three charges of rape, three allegations of indecent assault, two charges of sexual assault of a child under 13, two offences of sexual activity with a child, one charge of gross indecency with a child and one offence of taking an indecent photograph of a boy.
The jury found him not guilty on two rape allegations and one charge of taking an indecent photograph of the boy.
Mr Collins told Judge Neil Davey QC that that victim impact statements from the two female complainants would be available for him to read before Stares is due to be sentenced today (Thursday).
Stares, now of Egroms Lane, Withernsea, Hull, was remanded in custody until his sentence hearing.
Judge Davey said he had been found guilty of appalling abuse and faced a substantial prison sentence.