Men from Ipswich and Kesgrave admit having indecent images of children
Two men are awaiting their fate today after pleading guilty at separate hearings to downloading indecent images of children.
Merlin Reeves, of Bramford Road, Ipswich, who runs a computer business, admitted three charges of making indecent images of children when he appeared before the town’s magistrates.
The 41-year-old’s offences occurred on, or before, January 5 and included eight Category A movies – the most serious grading of child sexual abuse images
Prosecutor Tess Mann said acting on information police raided Reeves’ home, which is also his business premises.
Items were seized and eight Category C images – the lowest grading of child pornography were discovered on a computer.
Other films at Category A and Category B were also found.
The court was told Reeves was previously a man of good character.
It was said he automatically becomes subject to the registration and notification requirements of the Sexual Offence Act for a minimum of five years. This could be longer when sentencing takes place.
The case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report by the probation service.
The matter was sent to Ipswich Crown Court for sentencing on July 24 and Reeves was released on conditional bail.
In another Ipswich magistrates court Thomas Myhill, 27, of Castle Gardens, Kesgrave, admitted three charges involving four Category A moving images of a child, five still images and two films of children at Category B, and 18 Category C still and moving images.
The offences occurred between March 16, 2011, and December 6 last year.
Prosecutor Ian Devine said on December 5 police went to Myhill’s home with a search warrant and seized computer equipment. The images were found on a Toshiba laptop.
Emily Hughes, representing Myhill, said her client suffered from anxiety and depression which had led to excessive drinking. The court was told that was when the offending behaviour had occurred.
It was said when Myhill was very drunk his curiosity got the better of him, and that he was disgusted with himself.
The Felixstowe dock worker’s sentencing was adjourned until July 18. Myhill was released on conditional bail.