June 2017

Jail for perverted pensioner who started abusing girl when she was aged just seven

An 87-year-old beast has been jailed for repeatedly abusing a little girl for years.

William Williamson was caged for two years yesterday after putting the youngster, who was aged just seven when the torment began, through a depraved catalogue of assaults.

The pensioner had even sickeningly told police that his victim was ‘enjoying’ herself and refused to accept he had done anything wrong.

When he appeared at Paisley Sheriff Court, accompanied by his elderly wife, he was sent down and also placed on the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.

Sheriff David Pender said he had to balance Williamson’s ill health and lack of record against the horrific impact his abuse had on his victim.

He told Williamson: “She suffered your unwelcome advances. I have to have regard for the impact these offences have had on your victim.

“In my view, I can only deal with this offence in one way.”

The court was previously told that Williamson claimed to cops that his campaign of molestation was only a ‘game’.

Fiscal depute Keri Marshall said: “These offences centred on a game the accused would play. It was called ‘slap, nip or tickle’ and it began when she was around seven.

“The accused would come into her bedroom, sit on the side of her bed and touch her.

“After a while, she thought it was normal. It was only as she got older she realised the severity of it.”

The court heard how the abuse got worse as the girl got older — despite the brave youngster writing a letter to her attacker, pleading with him to stop.

The fiscal told how the child was in primary six at school when she wrote: “I know this is sexual harassment. It needs to stop.”

Prosecutor Ms Marshall added: “A few days later, he asked her why she had written this letter.

“He said to her no-one could find out.

“If anyone did, he would get into trouble and go to jail.

“He told her nobody was to find out about what was happening. He told her, ‘It was to be our little secret’.”

However, the abuse finally came to light when the youngster, then aged around 14, became withdrawn and anxious and her parents became concerned about her behaviour.

The victim had started self-harming, slashing her knuckles with a razor blade around 2012, when the harrowing background to her life began to emerge.

The fiscal added: “It began during an argument with her father when she told him, ‘My childhood ended when he (the accused) began abusing me for years.’”

However, she initially couldn’t go through the traumatic experience of prosecuting him through the courts.

The family sold their house and moved away from the area and severed all contact with Williamson.

It took until the victim was older, then a student aged around 19, before she decided go to the police.

The fiscal added: “By then, she felt she wanted to speak to the police.

“This was a consequence of her university studies and she realised the accused could not go unpunished.”

The court was told when police interviewed Williamson, of Houston, in August last year about the sex offences, he made various attempts to explain away his behaviour.

Ms Marshall said: “He told them it was a game he played with the child. He told officers he touched her in places he shouldn’t have.

“When asked exactly what he did, he replied, ‘She was giggling and laughing.

“I got the wrong idea, but she was enjoying it. She never ran away squealing after the first time or anything like that.

“It’s something she actually enjoyed. I thought so anyway’.”

Williamson pleaded guilty to using lewd, indecent and libidinous practices in his behaviour towards a young girl between October 2004 and October 2008 at his address and at another address.

When the sentence was read out in court, Williamson’s wife broke down in tears, but vowed to stand by him