Former teaching assistant convicted of child sex offences
A former teaching assistant has been jailed for 18 months after he was convicted of child sex offences.
David Billington, 47, of Shadsworth Road, Blackburn, was found guilty last week of nine counts of sexual assault on six female pupils, all aged 10 or 11 years old at the time of the abuse.
The abuse was carried out between 2012 and 2016 when Billington was a teaching assistant employed at a Primary School in Blackburn.
He also engaged in conversations on social media with two of the young victims.
Billington was also ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years.
Teaching assistant found guilty of sexually abusing youngsters at a school in Blackburn
A teaching assistant has been found guilty of sexually abusing six pre-teen girls at a school in Blackburn.
David Billington, 46, admitted he had been ‘over familiar’ with the girls, but denied any wrongdoing.
But following a trial at Preston Crown Court in which six girls spoke out against the teaching assistant they called ‘Mr B’, he was convicted of nine counts of sexually assaulting girls under 13.
During the trial, Billington, of Shadsworth Road, Blackburn, broke down as he told the jury a group of year six pupils had started calling him ‘a paedophile’.
After hearing accounts from the girls, who were in different year groups and friendship groups, the jury found him guilty of all the charges.
One girl told the court Billington had told her he would be sacked if she told anyone he had kissed her.
Other victims spoke of sitting on his knee or Billington putting his arm around their waist, bottom or hips and pulling them towards him.
Billington was suspended from duties in February 2016 after a mum told the headteacher her daughter did not feel comfortable around the teaching assistant.
Heather McGowan, the headteacher at St Antony’s Primary School, told the court Billington had simply asked if the allegation was made by a parent or child when she explained she would need to send him home.
He will be sentenced on July 5.