June 2017

Frome man downloaded child abuse images 

A Frome man who downloaded indecent images of children from the internet made a desperate bid to hide the evidence, taking days off work to search for a missing memory stick.

Callum James Rigby’s former partner discovered the USB stick in the defendant’s bedroom and found it contained naked images of his past girlfriends.

When he realised it had gone missing he questioned her repeatedly over its whereabouts.

And when she viewed the contents further she discovered to her horror that it contained indecent images and videos of children and other pictures of humans performing sex acts with a dog, so she took it to the police.

Rigby, 23, of Webbs mead, Beckington, pleaded guilty that between September 12, 2015 and June 21, 2016 at Frome he made 15 indecent videos of a child in the most serious Category A.

He also admitted two similar offences involving one images and two videos in Category B and two images and four videos in Category C.

He also admitted between the same dates to possessing an extreme pornographic image which portrayed in an explicit and realistic way a person performing an act of intercourse with a live animal, namely a dog, which was grossly offensive, disgusting or of an obscene character.

Prosecutor Christine Hart said that the defendant was living at his parents address with his then girlfriend in July last year when she was looking through a black folder in their bedroom for a driving licence.

“She came across a USB stick and took it to her parents house the next day and viewed the images and saw a number of pictures of naked ex girlfriends of Rigby,” she said.

“The defendant entered the room and she hid the USB stick but he repeatedly asked her if she had it and searched the whole bedroom and her car and then took days off work to try and search for it.

“On July 25 she returned home and viewed it further and saw images and videos which she was distressed by and took it to the police three days later.”

Rigby was arrested from his place of work and when interviewed made no comment, but pleaded guilty to all the allegations when he appeared in court.

The magistrates adjourned the case until July 6 for a pre sentence report to be prepared by the Probation Service.

In the meantime the defendant was released on unconditional bail and ordered to sign on the national Sex Offenders Register within three days of the court hearing.