Inverness man placed on sex offenders register for child abuse images
An Inverness man has escaped a jail term after admitting downloading indecent images of children.
Forty-seven year-old Wayne Dunbar, of Trafford Avenue, pleaded guilty at Inverness Sheriff Court in April to the offence which occurred between April 7, 2016, and May 17, 2016, at his home.
Sentence had been deferred for criminal justice social work reports until yesterday by Sheriff Margaret Neilson.
At a hearing in April depute fiscal Michelle Molley said police received intelligence that the images had been downloaded to devices at the Trafford Avenue address.
She said a computer and a mobile phone were seized and after analysis, a total of 227 images were recovered – the majority from the computer.
Most of them were at the lowest end of the obscenity scale, Ms Molley added.
A forensic examination of the mobile phone revealed 46 images of children and all featured female children from four years of age.
Defending, Shahid Latif said the offence occurred over a period of 42 days and only one of the images was moving.
He said Dunbar had already spent time in custody and he had been going through a period of emotional turmoil at the time of the offences.
Mr Latif added the reports recommended an alternative to a prison sentence.
Sheriff Neilson placed Dunbar on supervision and the Sex Offenders Register for three years and ordered him to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.