July 2017

Paedophile, 84, likely to die in prison after being jailed for 16 years

A man who abused three children in the 1960s and 1970s, his youngest victim just four-years-old, is likely to die in prison after being jailed for 16 years.

David Rogers, 84, abused children up to 50 years ago and was caught when his victims feared he may be targeting children again.

The abuse came to light last year when the victims raised the alarm over a suspected incident of child abuse – where they feared Rogers may be the culprit.

Jailing him for 16 years, Judge Ian Lawrie said: “The likelihood is that he will die in prison.”

He added: “Rogers’ actions, individually and cumulatively in respect of all three victims, were a carefully contrived and manipulative exercise in exploiting the extreme youth of these children, which was inevitably accompanied by a vulnerability arising from their profound ignorance of life.”

Former soldier Rogers, now a frail pensioner using a crutch, will not be due for release until the half-way point of his sentence, when he is 92.

Rogers, formerly of Frontfield Crescent in Southway, pleaded guilty to 13 counts of indecent assaults of children and three of indecency with a child on various dates between January 1965 and July 1973

The defendant was in his 30s and 40s at the time. Peter Coombe, for the Crown Prosecution Service, described how Rogers had abused each of the children after getting them on their own.

He added that he gave one boy sweets and told another victim she was a “good girl”. One of the victims told the court in a statement read by the judge: “I wasn’t going to write this statement. I feel guilt even getting these charges to court. I thought this letter would give me an end to a lifelong nightmare, giving me the life I never had.”

June 2017

Plymouth man, 84, admits sex abuse of four children more than 40 years ago

An 84-year-old man sexually abused four children over nearly a decade between 40 and 50 years ago, a court heard.

Frail pensioner David Rogers faced a judge to admit 16 charges of indecency against boys and girls as young as four in the 60s and 70s.

A judge warned the pensioner to expect years in jail and remanded him in custody until sentencing.

Bespectacled Rogers, who walks with two crutches, was taken down to the cells.

Rogers pleaded guilty to 13 counts of indecent assaults of children and three of indecency with a child on various dates between January 1965 and July 1973.

The defendant would have been in his 30s and 40s at the time of the attacks.

He denied a single count of rape – a plea which was accepted by the prosecution after consultation with the complainant.

Many of the counts represent repeated incidents of abuse.

Rogers, of Frontfield Crescent in Southway, even incited two of the children to commit an act of gross indecency together, the court heard.

The victims were aged between four and 13 at the time of the various offences, which were committed in London and Sunderland.

Peter Coombe, for the Crown Prosecution Service, asked for sentencing to be adjourned so that the victims could attend.

Judge Ian Lawrie remanded smartly-dressed Rogers into custody until July 3.

He said: “It is inevitable he will be going to prison for some time. The only question is for how long.”

Advertisements