Sausage maker avoids jail after he was caught with child abuse images
A businessman caught with child abuse images he had downloaded from the internet has avoided prison, but lost his sausage firm because of his offending.
Sausage maker David Burton, 52, insisted “I’m no paedophile” after he was caught with indecent images of children.
Disturbing pictures found at his home included images showing sexual activity with children aged one and 18 months.
Police found the eight pictures, some with explicit titles, on devices at his Brotton home on January 17.
Six of the images were videos, with one lasting 23 minutes and two in the most serious legal category.
Prosecutor Harry Hadfield said on Monday: “There was evidence of active searching for this type of material.”
Burton, of Jackson Street, Brotton, admitted two charges of making indecent images of children – his first conviction.
According to the judge who sentenced him, Burton said he “became fascinated” with a woman’s fantasies while in a “counselling-type role”.
When approached by The Gazette last month, the ‘Burton Bangers’ owner said he was surprised to find himself in court.
He said: “It has come across far worse than it actually is.”
He claimed he never searched for the images but accidentally downloaded them through a peer-to-peer file-sharing website while searching for music videos.
He said he downloaded unnamed files and instantly deleted them when he opened them and realised what they were.
He added: “I stupidly downloaded it, saw it wasn’t something I wanted and I got rid of it.
“But that doesn’t make me a paedophile.
“I’ve honestly never watched these videos.
“In some respects, nothing but good has come out of this as I will never ever use any sort of file sharing system.”
Judge Howard Crowson told Burton: “I’m not going to send you immediately to prison.
“The reality is there were eight images. The images are of different victims and some of them are extremely young.”
Burton was given an eight-month jail term suspended for 18 months with supervision and a £340 costs order.
He was given a sexual harm prevention order governing his use of the internet, computers and storage devices, and will be on the sex offenders’ register, both for seven years.
Butcher who admitted making indecent images of child says ‘it looks worse than it is’
A butcher who was caught with indecent images of children as young as one-year-old insists: “I’m no paedophile”.
David Burton admitted possessing illegal pictures and clips – including one 23-minute video involving a child – when he appeared at Teesside Crown Court this week.
The 52-year-old sausage maker now faces prison but claims he was “surprised” to even find himself in court – and blames the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal for the case having made it that far.
Burton pleaded guilty to making indecent photographs of a child but Gazette Live reports he insists: “It has come across far worse than it actually is.”
“I stupidly downloaded it, saw it wasn’t something I wanted and I got rid of it.
“But that doesn’t make me a paedophile.”
The Crown Prosecution Service say Burton – a former city high-flier who is well respected in the region as the owner of ‘Burton Bangers’ – downloaded the imagery over the course of almost a decade.
It included Category A material – rated the most serious type sexual imagery in guidelines – but he claims he never searched for the images.
Instead, Burton, who is from Brotton in North Yorkshire, claims he accidentally downloaded them through a peer-to-peer filesharing website while searching for music videos.
Burton may still be jailed though – as after pleading guilty at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on May 3 his case was passed to Teeside Crown Court to be heard at a later date.