April 2017

Man jailed after admtting raping woman he met through the Internet and two other sex attacks

A man has been sentenced to life for a string of horror sex attacks against two women and a schoolgirl

Kevin Finch was jailed for life, to serve a minimum of ten years in prison, following three sex offences.

It comes after the 36-year-old admitted one charge of rape, another of indecent assault and a further sex assault when he appeared at Portsmouth Crown Court.

Finch was brought to justice after police investigated a rape on the Isle of Wight.

He had contacted a woman via Facebook and offered her work as a cleaner then arranged to pick her up on the understanding that she would be working for him for the day.

Instead he drove her to a secluded car park on Old Blackgang Road, punched her in the face causing a fracture to her eye socket.

Finch then forced her into the back of his van and raped her.

The defendant then told his victim that he would kill her if she told anyone what had happened before releasing her from his van.

As a result of the police investigation, two other victims were identified in relation to sexual assaults committed by Finch in 2003 and 2015.

In December 2003 he indecently assaulted a woman when he grabbed her from the street after she left Chicago Rock in Newport to go home in the early hours of the morning.

He pushed her to the ground and pinned her down, before the woman was able to escape and run to the safety of another passer-by.

Twelve years later Finch messaged a 15-year-old girl via Facebook offering her work doing general handy jobs for his business.

She worked for him on a number of occasions before he sexually assaulted her in East Cowes.

As part of his sentence Finch, of no fixed address, will be added to the sex offenders register list for life.

After the case senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Dave Brown, said: “Following the horrific serious sexual assault in Niton in October 2016, we carried out a thorough and detailed investigation, in which we were able to identify further offending by Finch and so we put him in front of the courts for two further incidents.

“Finch pleaded guilty to all three offences. I hope the admission of guilt and today’s life sentence can provide all of the victims with closure, so that they can move on with their lives.

“Thankfully these type of incidents are rare and I would like to reassure the community that the Isle of Wight remains a safe place to live and to visit.

“Our thoughts are with all of the victims at this time.”

And Andrea Hall of the Crown Prosecution Service added: “Kevin Finch is an extremely dangerous offender who poses a very serious risk to women.

“As well as violently attacking a stranger, he used social media to target young women and pretend that he was genuinely offering opportunities of employment.

“The evidence of the victims in this case and the thorough investigation conducted by the police, ensured that the CPS was able to present a robust case, securing guilty pleas from Kevin Finch without the need for a trial.

“The victims have shown incredible bravery in supporting the prosecution and I hope that today’s sentence is of some comfort to them.”