Update: Midgley was handed a three-and-a-half year prison sentence.

April 2017

Pervert ex teacher guilty of sexually assaulting boys faces jail

A RETIRED woodwork teacher is facing an ‘inevitable’ jail sentence after he was convicted of sexually abusing two boys in his room at a Warwickshire school in the 1980s.

Roland Midgley had pleaded not guilty at Warwick Crown Court to four charges of indecently assaulting two boys while he was a woodwork teacher at Kineton High School.

But after deliberating for almost five hours the jury found the 72 year-old, of Warwick Road, Southam, guilty of the charge he faced in relation to one of the boys, who was 13 at the time.

And after a further hour, the jury convicted him of two offences against the other boy when he was aged 12 and 13, but not guilty of one charge in relation to the same boy.

Asking for sentencing to be adjourned for Midgley to make certain arrangements, his barrister Lee Masters said: “He has been made aware by myself that a custodial sentence in inevitable. Any mitigation would be to the length of any sentence.”

Agreeing to adjourn, Recorder Nicholas Syfret QC rejected a request for a pre-sentence report, commenting: “The reality is a report is not going to be able to add to the sum of the knowledge the court has when it comes to deciding the appropriate length of the sentence.”

And granting Midgley bail overnight, he pointed out: “A custodial sentence is inevitable.”

The jury had heard the fondling offences took place in the 1980s when Midgley was a woodwork teacher at Kineton High School, where he had worked from 1967 until he retired in 2000, and was also head of years one and two.

When one of the victims was asked what prompted him to report matters so many years later, he explained he was taking part in a discussion about school in the 1980s on a social media site – and when Midgley’s name was mentioned, it brought it back to him.

He said that at first, feeling anger and upset, he sought help from a support organisation, and later decided to report matters to the police.

Years later, in 1999, the second victim had complained to the police, but prosecutor Graeme Simpson said Midgley was not charged at the time, and the matter lay dormant.

“But during the police investigation into the later allegations it came to light again, and the defendant was charged in relation to both men,” added Mr Simpson.