June 2018

Paedophile granted access to children

A former mayor who downloaded child sexual abuse and child rape images can have unsupervised contact with children again following an Appeal Court ruling.

Julian Roskams, former Malvern mayor, was handed a 16-month suspended jail term after admitting making indecent photos of children.

Roskams, 55, downloaded the images between 2011 and 2016. They included 283 in the most obscene category, with some of the children featured aged under five.

There were also a ‘significant number’ of sadistic images of children being physically abused by being tied up and restrained.

A judge who sentenced Roskams – at Worcester Crown Court last March -described his collection of photos and videos as ‘abhorrent.’

At the Appeal Court, Annie Brown, for Roskams, argued parts of a sexual harm prevention order (SHPO) imposed on Roskams, of Poolbrook Road, Malvern, were over the top.

A ban on unsupervised contact with children under 16 should not have been imposed as he had not physically molested anyone.

Judge Martyn Zeidman said: “There will be some cases where, despite the absence of a contact offence, it will be necessary, nevertheless, to impose a prohibition on contact with a person under 16.”

Although he ‘can’t put the clock back for what he has done,’ he had ‘shown real contrition.’

He had recognised his problem before he was arrested and had sought counselling.

Allowing the appeal, Judge Zeidman ruled: “We cannot see the need for this prohibition and it will be quashed.”

A ban on Roskams having any computer or mobile device capable of accessing the internet without notifying the authorities was also overturned. Other restrictions imposed by the SHPO will now last 10 years, rather than being indefinite.

March 2017

Former Malvern Mayor escapes jail despite downloading more than 1,000 indecent images of children

The former Mayor of Malvern who pleaded guilty to downloading more than 1,000 indecent images of children has escaped jail.

Julian Roskams, 54, appeared before Worcester Crown Court today (Monday) where he was given a 16-month suspended sentence and was ordered to pay £340 in court costs and a £140 victim surcharge.

He was also given a Sexual Harm Prevention Order and will have to undertake 150 hours unpaid work.

The father-of-six, of Worcester Road, Malvern, was said by prosecutor Peter Grace to have downloaded 283 ‘category A’ images which included four movies, showing the rape and torture of young children

Mr Grace also told the court Roskams had downloaded 346 ‘category B’ images as well as 529 ‘category C’ images.

All pictures had been stored on an iPhone, three computers and a hard drive.

Between August 31, 2011 and July 23 last year, Roskams had downloaded the indecent images which featured children under the age of ten being sexually abused.

There had also been images of children under the age of five depicted in bondage scenes and being restrained or tortured

Following his arrest, Roskams admitted in his police interview that he had a ‘few issues’ 

Judge Robert Dukes QC said: “I have had more than 20 references which state the images were abhorrent but that you also sought help before the arrest.

“The defendant was also honest for committing the offences, something which most people would not do.

“The breakdown of his family also coincided with the start of the offending and it seems to me that points strongly in your favour.

“The sentence for this should not be custodial but if another offence is committed within the next 18 months there will be further punishment.”

All devices storing the indecent images of children will also be destroyed.

Advertisements