Update: Appeared for sentence on Friday 5 May 2017. Sentenced to 18 month custody suspended for 24 months. 24 months probation supervision and 10 years sex offender registration

March 2017

Former owner of Italian restaurant admits decade-old sex offences involving teenage women

The former owner of a popular Italian restaurant has admitted sex attacks on two teens.

Darren McGlen 50, of Haydon in Washington, admitted inappropriately touching teenage girls around ten years ago, Durham Crown Court heard.

The former director of Pepe’s restaurant in Beamish, near Chester-le-Street in County Durham pleaded guilty to seven sex charges, which he had previously denied.

The court was told that the allegations had led to the end of McGlen’s career running the popular restaurant which was taken over last year following his initial court appearances.

On Monday, McGlen changed his plea and pleaded guilty to six charges of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.

The matters relate to two females, who were teenagers at the time the offences are alleged to have taken place.

Prosecutor Dan Cordey said: “I can’t say that the victims were school girls, I don’t know that, they were teenagers at the time.”

Judge Christopher Prince asked if McGlen was still running a business.

Mr Adams said: “No that came to an end because of all of this.”

Companies House records show that liquidators were appointed to wind up the business on October 10 2016.

Pepe’s Restaurant Ltd, which was run by McGlen as a director and his wife Michelle McGlen as co-director, was liquidated owing £234,529 to creditors.

HMRC were owed £92,428 and the firm owed £17,183 in National Insurance payments.

McGlen himself was listed as a creditor owed £82,524 according to Companies House records.

Pepe’s restaurant was taken over and reopened under new owners last year.

McGlen was released on bail and will be sentenced next month and must sign the sex offenders’ register.

Judge “You must return here for sentence on April 28. All sentencing options will be at open when you return to court Mr McGlen. Your name will now be on the sex offenders register and you will be required to make contact with police officers very soon.”

 

Advertisements