Photographer who made indecent images of children has avoided jail
Kevin Emslie was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work when he appeared at Aberdeen Sheriff Court for sentencing after being found guilty of an offence involving indecent images of children.
He was also placed on the sex offenders register for a year.
Emslie, who had worked at the Press and Journal, denied the allegations against him, but was found guilty by a jury of making the pictures between October 2004 and November 2015.
A not proven verdict was returned on a second charge of possessing indecent images of children between December 2008 and November 2015.
According to the Evening Express, the offence was carried out at his mother’s house on Beaconhill Road in Milltimber and at his current address on Newburgh Crescent, Bridge of Don.
During the trial, the court heard 156 images were found over two computer devices – 128 were category C, the least severe group, with 19 in category B and nine in the most serious category, A.
During his sentencing hearing, defence advocate David Moggach, speaking of a background report, said Emslie “maintains his position” regarding the offence.
The court also heard he had been assessed as of “low risk” of reoffending in the social work report.
He said an aggravating factor would be the time period on the charge. However, he said this was “artificial” due to uncertainty over when the images would have been made.
Mr Moggach added: “He has no previous convictions and is previously of good character.”
Sheriff Graeme Napier told Emslie, whose address was given in court papers as Newburgh Crescent, Aberdeen, on sentencing: “What I propose to do is to reflect the fact we are not dealing with a large quantity of photographs here, it’s not even in the high hundreds.”
Emslie has nine months to carry out the work and was also placed under supervision for a year.
The 46-year-old declined to comment outside court.
Press and Journal editor Damian Bates said: “Once we became aware that Kevin was due in court on these charges we suspended him immediately pending the outcome of the case.
“As soon as Kevin was found guilty, we moved swiftly to an internal disciplinary process which resulted in his dismissal from The Press and Journal.”
A photographer has been found guilty of making indecent images of children
An Aberdeen photographer has been placed on the sex offenders’ register after being found guilty of making indecent images of children.
Kevin Emslie, who works for the Press and Journal, had been on trial at Aberdeen Sheriff Court facing two charges relating to the creation and possession of indecent images.
The 46-year-old denied the allegations against him, but yesterday he was found guilty by majority of making the illicit pictures between October 2004 and November 2015.
A not proven verdict was returned on the second charge of possessing indecent images of children between December 2008 and November 2015.
The offence was carried out at his mother’s house on Beaconhill Road in Milltimber and at his current address on Newburgh Crescent, Bridge of Don, during the 11-year period.
The court heard the two properties had been searched by police on November 10, 2015.
His room at his mother’s address was locked but when they searched Newburgh Crescent they found a computer tower, a memory card for a camera and the keys for the locked room.
The court heard a total of 156 indecent images were found on both computers, including 14 graphic photographs of boys and girls – aged between five and 13 – being abused by adults.
Throughout the trial Emslie’s defence advocate David Moggach argued the Crown had not proved he was responsible for the images being on the computers found at the addresses.
He added that the homes at Beaconhill Road had frequent visitors.
Emslie, who has no previous convictions, will appear in court for sentencing on April 24 after a social work report has been prepared.