August 2017

Chelmsford sex offender who admitted he was going to download child abuse images jailed for 2 years

A convicted sex offender was sentenced to two years in prison after admitting he was intending to download child abuse images of young girls.

Matteo Manfredi, 30, who was staying at a hostel in Chelmsford, was sentenced on Wednesday (August 30) at Chelmsford Crown Court, following three breaches of a sexual harm prevention order.

The 30-year-old was previously convicted for downloading 665 indecent images of children in October 2016, after police discovered that Manfredi searched for websites containing pre-teen pornography.

He avoided jail, but ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work within three years and 75 days of rehabilitation.

He was also subject to a sexual harm prevention order for five years, which stated that he could not own any device that could connect to the internet without authorisation, as well as concealing or deleting internet history.

Manfredi breached the terms on three occasions, twice in February and once in June of this year. He pleaded guilty in July.

Officers discovered a laptop and memory stick at his address on February 21 after they were made aware Manfredi had opened an ISA account without the authorities knowing.

Manfredi admitted to owning the devices, having purchased them two days prior to this on February 19.

On behalf of the Crown, Charlotte Davison said: “Officers found no evidence of any indecent images, but the laptop and memory stick were sent to an expert.

“When the results came back it was found that the computer had the anonymous browser installed on it. This means that it cannot be traced and cannot obtain a browsing history. This system and another had been installed on the memory stick.”

Officers also found that Manfredi had a file on the device named, ‘how to touch a woman on the bus’.

This was last accessed the day before the arrest on February 20.

He also admitted to using a friend’s computer to access the internet, which had not been authorised.

Ms Davison added: “He made full admissions in his police interview. He said he had downloaded the software and admitted he was going to download images of children aged 12 to 15 for his own sexual gratification.”

Defending Mr Manfredi, Hannah Sutton, said that he had been seeking the help of the Salvation Army.

She said: “His problems are not going to be solved overnight.

“He states that since living at the address that he resides at he has reported it is a helpful environment.

“He admitted straight away what he had in his possession.

“Yes, there’s been some breaches and yes, he has been in the court again but in my opinion he is someone who is continuing to seek the help of the resources available.”

Judge Patricia Lynch sentenced Manfredi to two years imprisonment for breaching the order and then resentenced him of his earlier offence of possessing the indecent images.

She said: “You know that last time you came in front of the court it must have been made clear to you that you were being given the opportunity to address your offending.

“You view this filth for your own sexual gratification and you seem to forget that these are real children being put through horrific, flagrant and degrading sexual acts for people like yourself.

“Children are not for sexual gratification, they are to be protected. You were given the chance to address your behaviour and you have not.

“You pleaded guilty at an early stage and I give you credit for that. You have made no effort to address your offending and you are going to prison.

“The victims of your offence are children and you will pay for this.”

August 2016

Former Chelmsford supermarket worker downloaded hundreds of child sex abuse images over nine years

manfredi

A former supermarket worker who downloaded hundreds of child sex abuse images over nine years has avoided a jail sentence.

Matteo Manfredi, 29, of Harrington Mead, Chelmsford was sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court on Tuesday (October 18) for downloading 665 indecent images of children. He had admitted the offences in August.

In summer last year, police received information linking indecent material on the internet to Manfredi’s IP address. They found the images after seizing three computers from his home on October 28.

Most of the pornography showed girls aged between eight and 15, but among the images were abuse of a one-year-old and a three-year-old.

Further examination of the computers revealed Manfredi searched for websites containing pre-teen pornography. According to Judge Martin Levett, Manfredi admitted to having “dipped in and out” of viewing such images since 2007.

Judge Levitt told him: “I do not believe you looked at the pictures out of curiosity, as you put it.

“The sheer number of these images, some of which were the most grave imaginable, shows you must have viewed them for your sexual gratification.”

There is a “high chance” Manfredi would reoffend without rehabilitation, he added.

“To make sure your viewing does not continue, I must deter you. I must make sure you are educated about the epidemic levels of this material and the harm you cause by viewing it.

“By viewing it, you encourage these activities. It means the market for these images continues in a perpetual way.

“What you need to realise is the persons involved are very young children, who have no say in what goes on, and the difficulty is they may never recover from the depraved acts committed on them.”

Manfredi must complete the 150 hours of unpaid work within three years and 75 days of rehabilitation.

He will be subject to a sexual harm prevention order for five years, which will require him to notify authorities of any change in address or passport.

The computers storing the images will be destroyed.

Advertisements