January 2017

Rapist carved named into 15-year-old victim’s arm before stabbing her in neck


A teenage rapist who carved his name on a schoolgirl’s arm before leaving her for dead in a graveyard is facing years behind bars.

Miles Hughes talked about serial killers and monsters before asking: ‘How would you react if I said I was going to kill you?’

He then used a Stanley knife to etch his name on his 15-year-old victim before launching the horrific rape attack.

Hughes, who was 17 at the time, repeatedly stabbed her in the neck and chest, but ran off when a member of the public spotted the attack in north London’s Hampstead cemetery.

He told police he laughed and smiled as he fled the scene.

A female friend recalled how Hughes said he was happy he had carried out the attack and enjoyed seeing the victim distressed.

Hughes dialled 999 to say he had murdered a girl in the graveyard and police arrived at his home to find two hand drawn pictures in his bedroom drawers.

One was of a clown’s face adorned with a swastika and the numbers ‘666’, while a second sketch of a person bore the words: ‘Anger creates Monsters, Hatred gives them reason.’

Hughes told cops the drawings were a depiction of voices in his head and admitted he had intended to kill the 15-year-old.

He claimed in court they had consensual sex before he lost his temper, but had only meant to cause ‘really serious harm’.

The teenager pleaded guilty to wounding with intent but was found guilty of attempted murder and rape at the Old Bailey.

Judge John Bevan, QC, remanded him in custody ahead of sentence on February 24.

Hughes met his victim in July last year before taking her to a quiet area of West Hampstead graveyard, where they chatted and listened to music.

Hughes talked about serial killers and how they were created, and he started to poke the knife towards her neck, asking: ‘How would you react if I said I was going to kill you?’.

‘The defendant then moved to her left arm and started to carve his name into her left bicep with the knife,’ said prosecutor Jane Osborne.

Hughes pushed his victim back onto the floor and climbed on top of her holding the knife in his hand, then covered her mouth until she was choking.

In a police interview, the victim told how he pulled his trousers down and raped her.

‘He wouldn’t accept the fact I had to go. He was sat on top of me saying, “you’re going to tell the police,” she said.

‘He said, “there are voices in my head saying I need to kill you”.

‘I started to cry. He started to cry and said, “I’m sorry”. He went to stab me but he grabbed my other arm.’

She said she tried to fight back, but was repeatedly knifed in the neck and chest, leaving her with puncture wounds, lacerations and scratches.

Hughes finally fled when a member of the public shouted ‘get off’, allowing the girl to get help and call for an ambulance.

Hughes returned home and dialled 999, telling them he had killed a girl by stabbing her in the throat.

He admitted: ‘I intended to cause her really serious harm and nothing else,’ but insisted: ‘I was not intending to kill her.’

Hughes, of Camden, north London, admitted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He denied but was convicted of attempted murder and rape.