August 2017

Report reveals HMP Durham paedophile is dead


A prolific sex offender who died weeks into a four-year jail term for historic sex offences died alone and in secret, a report has revealed.

Geoffrey Blacklock was found guilty of six counts of indecently assaulting a girl under the age of 14 in the late 1970s and early 1980s, in December last year.

The pervert was locked up in HMP Durham but three weeks into a four-year prison term he died at the University Hospital of North Durham on January 12 after a contracting pneumonia.

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman carried out an independent investigation following Blacklock’s death and the report reveals the convicted sex pest expressly wished his family were not informed of his death.

Blacklock refused to continue taking the necessary medication and didn’t want be resuscitated if his heart stopped beating.

The report also reveals his family were not told immediately of his death – in line with the convict’s wishes.

The report states Blacklock was remanded to HMP Durham on October 21, 2016 and suffered from a number of chronic health problems, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), angina, Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

After a series of visits to healthcare staff at the prison Blacklock’s health “significantly deteriorated” on January 6.

It adds: “He was admitted by emergency ambulance to hospital, where he died shortly after refusing treatment; he was acutely unwell and deteriorated rapidly.”

He was told he had pneumonia, and had trouble breathing and refused to continue drugs via nebuliser on January 11, and agreed not to be resuscitated if his heart stopped beating.

December 2016

Carlisle man jailed for sex assaults

A Carlisle man has been jailed for four years for sex assaults against a child

Geoffrey Blacklock was sentenced after being found guilty of six counts of indecent assault on a girl under the age of 14.

The assaults took place in the later 1970s and early 1980s in north Cumbria.

68-year-old Blacklock, of Hawthorn Grove, was also sentenced to an indefinite restraining order to protect the victim. He will remain on the sex offender’s register indefinitely.