November 2016

Sex offender who tried to contact victim through social media back in court

A sex offender who tried years later through social media to contact the victim of his crimes has been brought back before a judge.

Jonathan David Grearson, 57, was given a four-year jail term in 2008.

This followed his guilty pleas to several counts of sexual activity with a child – offences he committed while living in west Cumbria.

In addition to his jail term, Grearson was made subject to the strict terms of a sexual offences prevention order.

This was in effect indefinitely, with one of the conditions prohibiting him from contacting his femalevictim in any way.

She was aged in her teens at the time he committed the original offences.

But Grearson went on to breach that order, and was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court.

Antony Longworth, prosecuting, said the defendant did so by trying to contact the victim – now an adult – through social media.

His criminal attempt had a profound effect upon her.

“She felt sick and in shock and couldn’t believe he had done that,” said Mr Longworth. “She began to shake and cry.”

The woman reported what had happened to police. They interviewed Grearson, who sought to play down what had happened, saying he had acted “out of curiosity”.

But Mr Longworth said: “This was a deliberate act by the defendant.”

Grearson’s breach of the order had caused the woman to shake “uncontrollably” and had caused repercussions in her personal life.

“She became so anxious she has had to go to see her GP,” added Mr Longworth.

Paul Tweddle, defending, gave mitigation for night shift worker Grearson, now of The Green, Eastriggs, Annan.

“He has clearly had a great deal of anxiety about the possible (custodial) outcome today,” said Mr Tweddle.

Having heard all the details in the case, Judge Peter Davies imposed an 18-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.

Grearson must complete 200 hours of unpaid work and comply with a three-month electronically monitored daytime curfew.

Speaking about the latest crime, Judge Davies told Grearson: “It was a stark reminder of the past and the person who had sexually abused her.”